Darkroom Tricks and Treats

I read it a few days ago. Although I rely on a guerrillero darkroom set up in my apartment, I'm always keen what other have to work with.

Two thumbs up!

Thanks for that! I’m in the midst of a (very slow) conversion of a basement bathroom. When finished it will be an uncomfortably small darkroom but it’s the space I have to work with so I’m going to make it work.

I read the article with interest. Any and all tips are helpful.

I have been reduced to just developing my B&W film with no dark room (changing bag, daylight tank). Then I scan and send to Costco for normal prints, and if I like some and want true B&W paper: Mpix or Fromex Photo).

I really liked the article, and picked up a few helpful tips. It looks like you have the same Thomas Super Safelight I have. My darkroom is about 10' x 14'. I find that if I keep the top vanes open, as the manufacturer suggests for B&W photography, I get a lot of fogging. So I keep the vanes closed, but this means much less light. I can see you've rigged some drapes around the light, presumably to reduce fogging?

Dfranklin,
Never got around to checking for fogging as even with the vanes closed it was so bright in the room that I couldn't see the image on the easel! I've read the filters need changing after decades of use, even read the how to, but paper white is still paper white, so haven't felt the need.

I've always enjoyed customizing a room in a new residence for a darkroom.
Fred

Pentode,
I found this book very helpful for construction and organizing darkroom space: The Darkroom Handbook, A complete guide to the best design, construction and equipment by Dennis Curtin and Joe DeMaio, 1979. I've seen the book in several used book stores over the years.
Fred

Pentode,
I found this book very helpful for construction and organizing darkroom space: The Darkroom Handbook, A complete guide to the best design, construction and equipment by Dennis Curtin and Joe DeMaio, 1979. I've seen the book in several used book stores over the years.
Fred
I have a copy already and, yes, it’s very helpful. Thanks for the tip!

Back