Data on discarded hard disk

robert blu

quiet photographer
Local time
3:47 AM
I replaced my main Thunderbolt Hard disk with a new one before it fails (of course I have multiple backup).

It is not a problem I'm curious to know what do you do with the discarded hard disks. Do you simply leave them anywhere and forget them?

Do you simply initialise them to cancel the data? Does it works or it simply erase an index and the data are still presents?

I thought to use it for additional backup but it seems me a bad idea to use an old HD which could be subject to failure for an important task as a back up! I prefer to have multiple backups on new hds.

As I said it is not a problem, I'm just curious !

By coincidence, only tonight I was looking at two old HDD's sitting in my desk drawer - I took them out of an old computer a couple of years ago before putting it out for recycling. Better safe than sorry. If I do decide to throw them out I will definitely be taking to them with a hammer though! But I may still use the newer of the two as an external drive by popping into a disk shell.

In addition, I also had a recent instance of a HDD failing - only last week in fact. The PC guy I used to fix the issue convinced me to replace this drive with two drives - a traditional HDD for large capacity storage of files and a new type solid state disk (SSD) which is essentially a giant array of computer chips which is known for its tremendous speed. The operating system and any software that needs high speed of operation will sit on this. And as a further benefit it is said to be much less susceptible to data corruption or failure so hopefully should not fail for some years yet. I was surprised how relatively inexpensive these new drives are even now - the older style HDDs are even cheaper as well as having a higher capacity.

(I wonder what recommendations we will be given in future to dispose of these new type of SSD). Having said all of this I cannot complain - the PC I am using (a Hewlett Packard "All-in-One" type has run pretty well flawlessly and without a hiccup for about 9 years - till the HDD turned up its toes which is really the first and only problem I have had with it.

BTW I had forgotten how innovative this industry is. As I only had one drive slot in my PC (its more like a laptop) they simply used an adapter device to install the extra drive in the slot used by the DVD drive. I now use a cheap USB external DVD drive in its place on those fairly rare, but still necessary occasions when I need to read a DVD. A neat solution all in all. My only hope, given the new SSD will not be in a slot specified for this use is that it will stay cool enough not to cook its innards - computer chips have lots of current coursing though them, hence give off lots of heat.....................I should have sought assurances on this but did not think of it till later.

The hammer! I I had already thought about it, LOL, old technology to destroy the new technology, I see some irony in it!

As peter I have operating system and softwares on the internat SSD memory and the data, mainly photos on an external hd. I thought to replace it with a ssd but a 4 TB is still too expensive where I live. Maybe in one year or a little longer...

I also use three external hd for backups, one of them is in a different location.

The hammer! I I had already thought about it, LOL, old technology to destroy the new technology, I see some irony in it!

As peter I have operating system and softwares on the internat SSD memory and the data, mainly photos on an external hd. I thought to replace it with a ssd but a 4 TB is still too expensive where I live. Maybe in one year or a little longer...

I also use three external hd for backups, one of them is in a different location.
Robert your setup sounds remarkably similar to mine. I also have three external HDDs for backup and bulk storage. Like you I considered getting a large capacity SSD in place of a second internal drive of the HDD type but ouch, that large capacity SSD price was high just as you say. But instead I opted for a 1 terabyte SSD and thought its price (about $170 Australian) was relatively cheap. Certainly much better than I expected.

Just reformatting a hard drive will leave recoverable data, at least on a physical (non-SSD) drive. I usually use a free overwrite utility, then place a flat-head screwdriver under the onboard printed circuit board to break it off. Then discard.

Someone would have to replace the board with an exact replacement, or remove the platters and rehouse to obtain any info. I'm not keeping state secrets, so I feel pretty comfortable with this method.

If you're anything like me and you have the tools you open that sucker up...
The little screws could come in handy later BUT you can remove the discs...and let me tell you, it can be used as a mirror IF you're willing to see yourself that clearly...you can destroy the discs if you want or keep them...plus there are a couple of rare earth magnets in there that can be useful too...

Large heavy hammer against a rock. Drill press. Serious institutions use a gadget like a paper shredder on steroids that grinds up metal.

Seriously, it is dangerous to discard a hard disk of any kind that you have used.

The usual problem with old hard-drives is they are (a) old - by definition - and (b) outdated - size or compatability-wise. They're either failing, failed or of dubious reliability. In summary, generally of no further use.

I'm in the physical destruction camp and I usually remove the platters. Once removed they are near-impossible to yield their data. If I can't get the housing apart readily, I use brute force.

I don't keep anything beyond personal data but I don't wish to hand anyone the opportunity to snoop into that, on principle if for no other reason.

Talking to a graduate about this the other day. He suggested putting the old HD into the (new or repaired) computer as a second disc then using software to "shred" it and recovery software to check. he also said that if the old HD had failed the recovery software could find things...

I've yet to try it and don't know what software he meant.

Regards, David

PS What I have been doing is deleting everything, when it is the second disc, formatting and then refilling until it will take no more with old innocuous photo's; then dumping.

Talking to a graduate about this the other day. He suggested putting the old HD into the (new or repaired) computer as a second disc then using software to "shred" it and recovery software to check. he also said that if the old HD had failed the recovery software could find things...

I've yet to try it and don't know what software he meant.

Regards, David

PS What I have been doing is deleting everything, when it is the second disc, formatting and then refilling until it will take no more with old innocuous photo's; then dumping.
David,

The problem with an old HDD is you never know if or when it'll fail. Even new ones can and do fail but an old one is an unknown quantity so I'd not trust it for anything.

The "shredding" software re-writes the disk space over and over, usually with random garbage. When most computer systems "delete" a file, it doesn't quite work how you think. The space taken by a file is not used again until the system deems it necessary, a "deleted" file is simply marked as available space until the physical space is actually required and over-written. That can be weeks, months, years or never. Hence the file can be recovered, often well into the future. Imagine a piece of paper written on in pencil. You could put the sheet away for re-use and not bother to use an eraser until you actually needed the sheet again.

Likewise, disk space that has actually been erased or over-written can be recovered unless over-written multiple times. To do so requires some serious kit and a great deal of patience plus some luck. Not something to fret over unless you are or were in certain occupations, since the resources exclude casual use.

A lump-hammer or some such method circumvents the issues, provided you physically do serious damage to the disk-platter.

The real value to crooks is not so much the hardware but the data it contains.

If you’ve ever done internet banking, bought anything online with a card, booked a holiday, a flight, written letters and included your address, saved medical information, and you have not taken steps to destroy the HDD before disposal, beware.

Used HDDs reappear in all sorts of places, as a BBC prog on data theft of a few years ago discovered. The reporter bought used HDDs in a market in India, and the original UK owners were mighty surprised when the reporter got in touch with them using the sensitive personal and financial information the HDDs contained.

David,

The problem with an old HDD is you never know if or when it'll fail. Even new ones can and do fail but an old one is an unknown quantity so I'd not trust it for anything.

The "shredding" software re-writes the disk space over and over, usually with random garbage. When most computer systems "delete" a file, it doesn't quite work how you think. The space taken by a file is not used again until the system deems it necessary, a "deleted" file is simply marked as available space until the physical space is actually required and over-written. That can be weeks, months, years or never. Hence the file can be recovered, often well into the future. Imagine a piece of paper written on in pencil. You could put the sheet away for re-use and not bother to use an eraser until you actually needed the sheet again.

Likewise, disk space that has actually been erased or over-written can be recovered unless over-written multiple times. To do so requires some serious kit and a great deal of patience plus some luck. Not something to fret over unless you are or were in certain occupations, since the resources exclude casual use.

A lump-hammer or some such method circumvents the issues, provided you physically do serious damage to the disk-platter.

Thanks; I should have made it clear that that was what I do when I decide a computer can't be trusted and should be dumped. Deleting and then restuffing with old photo's is what I do to fill up the "deleted" spaces.

I was hoping that the process could be done with software but I still have my doubts.

Regards, David

Back