dating Canon Lit. by address??

harry01562

Registered semi-lurker
Local time
12:54 AM
Hi,

After being mostly absent from the forum for a long while, for medical and family issues, I'm starting to creep back in to my neglected collection. I have some fairly early literature, before they started the date coding, and noticed a variety of addresses are shown. Has anyone done any dating of the moves Canon made, especially in the mid-late 1940's?

I not the following addresses, roughly in chronological order:

No. 81 Nakane-cho, Meguro-ku, Tokyo, Japan

as above, but No. 82

No. 3, 5-Chome Ginza, Chuo-Ku Tokyo

I also noted a couple of pieces, with date code as shown, with variant addresses:

3, Ginza 5-chome, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, Japan/(Z Ave., Ginza, Tokyo)
with No. 127 10T-ES-4-51 Daito Printing Co.

Ginza, Tokyo, Japan
with No.132 10T-ES-6-51 ("N" in black block) Printed in Japan

I believe the first 2 addresses should date to the later part of the '40's.

Thanks for any information that will put this in perspective.

Harry

Hi Harry,

Long time no hear so its good to see you back. Hope all is well now.

I did a "Company Locations" on page 15 of my book and also mentioned them in the "Canon Company Timeline” on page 206.

The Ginza address was just a sale/service centre on the Ginza strip in the middle of Tokyo.

It was No 82 Nakane-cho, Meguro-ku, Tokyo, Japan

Cheers Peter

Thanks, Peter

Thanks, Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for reminding me of the spot in the book where you list the various locations. Now that I have it off the shelf, I'm going to do another browse to see what else I can relearn, after the fairly long hiatus.

I wish you'd think seriously about publishing your researches on the accessories, as it's such an uncharted and sometimes confusing area. You're probably the most knowledgeable English speaking person around on these, and your expertise would be very useful to lots of us. Even something in digital form, or a simple brochure would put so much scattered data in one place, and make it accessible. The lens book was beautiful, and important, but the price did make a lot of collectors put off the purchase.

Harry

Back