Daylight processors.

Leica Geek

Well-known
Local time
12:31 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a daylight film processor for a good price. I'd like to develop my own negatives, but I don't have space for a darkroom.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Color or black and white? For black and white, you don't need much room at all. I haven't been able to process color successfully by hand and have considered a Jobo system for the task with temperature control, etc.
You could have a very useful b/w setup for almost nothing and do it in your kitchen or bathroom. You only need a sink and the room to extend your arm.
Printing's another matter. I scan my negatives at this time. I may build a small darkroom soon, but I'm in a relatively small Brooklyn apartment so it's a bit of a problem.

davidbivins said:
You could have a very useful b/w setup for almost nothing and do it in your kitchen or bathroom. You only need a sink and the room to extend your arm.
Printing's another matter. I scan my negatives at this time. I may build a small darkroom soon, but I'm in a relatively small Brooklyn apartment so it's a bit of a problem.

Yes, for black and white you easily make do with the kitchen or bathroom. I use a changing bag for loading the film into a Paterson tank and within about a half hour you have your negs ready to hang up and dry. Being lazy, I use Tmax film and Tmax liquid developer which eliminates any mixing and storing of chemicals. Just use what you need for the roll(s) that you're going to soup. A scanner, PhotoShop and printer eliminates the need for a wet darkroom. It may not give you the fine art prints that many people are making with a conventional set up but it will do a pretty decent job.

Agfa did a daylight tank (called the 35U I think) for 35mm, but you have to remember not to rewind the film back into the cassette. they are practical and mine still is in good condition.

They also did a 120 version but not tired this.

A changing bag is ok for 35mm but difficult for 120.

Noel

Xmas - true. I've just re-entered the medium format realm and I'm dreading rolling 120 onto my Paterson reels in a changing bag. I can still hear my own curses echoing in my brain from the last time.

Xmas said:
Agfa did a daylight tank (called the 35U I think) for 35mm, but you have to remember not to rewind the film back into the cassette. they are practical and mine still is in good condition.

They also did a 120 version but not tired this.

A changing bag is ok for 35mm but difficult for 120.

Noel

So this does color and b&w?

I can always retract the leader or just remember not to wind all the way.

Vagabond said:
Yes, for black and white you easily make do with the kitchen or bathroom. I use a changing bag for loading the film into a Paterson tank and within about a half hour you have your negs ready to hang up and dry. Being lazy, I use Tmax film and Tmax liquid developer which eliminates any mixing and storing of chemicals. Just use what you need for the roll(s) that you're going to soup. A scanner, PhotoShop and printer eliminates the need for a wet darkroom. It may not give you the fine art prints that many people are making with a conventional set up but it will do a pretty decent job.

Thanks, that sounds more my speed. I'm in a little apartment.

If you load your own 35mm cassettes from bulk film, you don't even need to remember not to roll the film back into the cassette; you can just use a changing bag to open the (plastic screw-top) cassette and pull out the leader, then put the top back on.

I use a Rondinax 35U at the moment (until I finally get of my behind and finish my darkroom ) No need for a changing bag ,Just remember not to totally rewind the leader . Pop the cassette into the tank , attach the leader , shut the lid and wind the film on to the reel then cut the film with the inbuilt knife. Then it's just a case of poring in the chemicals and turning the knob for the required time , Job done . I also have the Rondinax 60 for 120 film but not got round to trying that yet .

They turn up on Eb*y quite regularly and both of mine cost less than £10 ($20) each , worth every penny in my opinion .

Paul

Attachments

• d2dc_1.JPG
    d2dc_1.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 0
For B&W, you can almost do the processing in a small closet. As long as you can handle spilling a bit of water here and there. Really, very little room required.

If you have trouble with loading 120 onto Paterson reels...then use AP Photo or the current Samigon reels on BH. They have a HUGE loading lip in comparison to the Paterson ones, and I load _2_ rolls of 120 onto each no problem.

Or go stainless steel for just 120. Personally, I prefer to use all the same tanks and equipment across the board.

allan

It has been many moons since I've use an old bake-lite Rondinax for 120. It was part of an inheritance in back in the early 70's, an Agfa Rodinax 60 and a Yashica D.

These days, I prefer Paterson tanks.

I just don't personally see how the Rodinaux tanks are all that much more convenient. I mean, sure it loads in the daylight and you just crank it, but it seems like you'd get less control over intermittent agitation and it only takes me about 30 seconds to load a plastic reel as it is.

hm.
allan

To each one's own, but I would never use a tank that requires me to thread the film in/out of the cassette a third time. Film goes out and onto the takeup reel = potential scratches round 1. Film gets wound back into cassette = potential scratches round 2. That's all I'm willing to do. The Rondinax sounds convenient, but I have enough mysterious scratching already.

Leica Geek said:
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a daylight film processor for a good price. I'd like to develop my own negatives, but I don't have space for a darkroom.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I have a DayLab I've been thinking about selling. It'll enlarge up to 8x10. Stu

Horses for courses I suppose , I just enjoy getting in from a walk with the kids and being able to develop a film virtually straight away , on the work top in a 40-50 year old plastic box :D I have paterson reels etc but there's just something about the sheer quirkiness of the Rondinax tanks that amuses me , Must be why I only shoot FSU cameras :)

Paul

I think I'm going to check into a changing bag and patterson tank for now.

Thanks I really appreciate it!

Is dust a big problem in a small apartment? Any tips?

Dust is a problem anywhere dust is a problem :).

You have to see how it goes. There are ways of minimizing dust in any environment, and there are some environments that are always dusty. But do what you can to minimize dust from the outset and if you're still getting it, start addressing as many of the different possible factors step by step until you've got a pretty clean environment.

allan

There are two versions of the Rondinax 35U. One is by Agfa and the other is by Leitz (probably both made by Agfa). The Leitz version is made of much heavier plastic and tends to cost more. Probably because it says Leitz on the side. Operation is pretty painless.

Whatever you do, don't get the old Kodak Daylight loading tank. You have to sacrifice the first and sometimes second frame on the roll because it requires the user to cut a leader on the film that is different from the one used to load the camera (long center tab). It's very well constructed, but deserves to be kept on the shelf.

-Paul

Since I stay at hotels often, ive found the bathrooms are usually light proof with a towel placed under the door or a bit of duct tape over any cracks in daytime, night is much easier. You might find some bathroom at your office or even the public library or art center where you can load up and process your film, it does not take much space or special features to get it done. The first place I ever developed film was a fire station converted to a art center.

Changing bags are a must have but I considered just making a plywood light proof box with holes cut out and sleeves to block the light. In this way you can set everything inside the box and close it and then put in your hands when its light proof to load film holders or whatever. Till now ive not bothered with it because I have dedicated lightproof areas to work in.

Do Kodak Dayloading Tanks Actually Work?

Do Kodak Dayloading Tanks Actually Work?

pshinkaw said:
There are two versions of the Rondinax 35U. One is by Agfa and the other is by Leitz (probably both made by Agfa). The Leitz version is made of much heavier plastic and tends to cost more. Probably because it says Leitz on the side. Operation is pretty painless.

Whatever you do, don't get the old Kodak Daylight loading tank. You have to sacrifice the first and sometimes second frame on the roll because it requires the user to cut a leader on the film that is different from the one used to load the camera (long center tab). It's very well constructed, but deserves to be kept on the shelf.

-Paul

As someone who actually has a Kodak Daylight loading tank on a shelf, because I could never get it to work, I have always wanted to ask if they actually work? And would this leader be the same sort of extended leader that a thread mount Leica uses or something else?

Not that I am giving up my Paterson tanks, but I have always wondered if I could get my tank successfully load an entire roll of film;)

Richie

Back