New York December NYC Meet-Up

Calzone

Gear Whore #1
Local time
12:03 PM
It seems that the only possible time for a December Meet-Up is Sunday December 22d.

Seems like a great time to bring out a Lloyd's Carrot Cake to feast on.

No lie that this is the best. I figure why not share it with everyone at Sharlene's, including Greg the bartender.

Cal

If anyone wants a free "Camera Vacation" let me know.

Leica is having a SL2 Launch. You have to RSVP, so anyone who wants to attend PM me with your e-mail and I'll forward you the link.

Location is Leica Store SoHo on Thursday December 19th.

11:00-11:20 AM Photowalk Check-In.

11:30-12:30 PM Guided Photowalk with SL2 on loan.*

3:00-6:00 PM Prodiscover with an on-site model.

6:30-7:30 PM Artist Talk and Presentation.

7:30-9:00 PM Reception and hands on demo.

* Camera loans for Photowalk are offered on a first come first served basis. Valid ID, Credit Card, and SD card required.

So first London, Amsterdam (look out for the dog turds), Cologne (4th largest city in Germany, 1 million pop.), Koblenz, Baden-Baden (Mercedes factory), Strausbourg (France), Basel (Switzerland).

So I don't know what has me more excited: one day with a new camera that really isn't available yet; or a ten-day European vacation.

Ha-ha. Lucky I don't have to choose. LOL. I'll be doing both.

Cal

"Maggie" my celeb gal is catching a plane today for a day trip and will be back tomorrow night, so I have a girlfriend vacation.

So How-Weird is also not at work today, so I get a "bonus vacation."

Only about an hour's worth of work scheduled for later today in the afternoon. Of course I'll be leaving early, and know I came in mucho late.

So How-Weird, normally hates my guts. I used the skills I developed as a performance artist for about a decade, and then after I was hired How-Weird kinda learned he made a mistake.

Oh-well and it has been over twenty years now. You guys know how I tend to be annoying, now imagine how that might aggressively get amped up if you give me a good reason not to like you.

So there use to be this PhD Radio Chemist who created anxiety, panic, chaos, confusion and uncertainty to the extent that I openly called him a "Terrorist."

"PK the Terrorist," I would say.

At times PK would approach me by saying, "Calvin my friend," and I would say, "PK my enemy."

So lately I have been openly calling How-Weird a terrorist to his face because his retirement in January is causing chaos, confusion and uncertainty. By definition this is what terrorists tend to do.

When he announced his retirement via E-mail all the flattering remarks came from people who I know can't stand him. Pretty much Howard is not so clueless and he shared with me how he knows all these people hate him. We both laughed pretty hard.

So I started a campaign where I foreshadow that when he leaves how his legacy will be getting blamed for everything. People will say they never liked him, and that he was a jerk.

"Howard you suck," I openly say, and he just laughs because he is a short-timer.

"Ask me if I care," he says.

So in a kind way he reveals that for a long time before I was hired that he was the only person and things were only "one-deep." He told me to use doctor's appointments as an excuse so I don't loose vacation time, and so I will have a way out to taking days off.

He also revealed that he flexed his vacation so he came in late and left early during this time of being one-deep. In a way this is like a irregular part time job, because schedules vary. So I can see the possibility that my job scales back to be in effect a part-time job, because I have so much vacation "banked" and I acrew a month off every year.

So one institution has done nothing to replace the PhD Radio Chemist that left three weeks ago, and don't forget they had about a month's notice.

Also my employer has also done nothing to move forward with hiring a replacement, so as crazy as my above situation is, pretty much I likely will be putting in few hours like I'm working part-time, but will be adding years to my pension, and receiving full-time pay.

How crazy is that?

Know that my employer employs about 15K people, and the other institution is or might be even bigger. Both advertise on commercial TV.

So all I know is that the above is the situation until something gives. This could actually work out good for me and in a way is a step towards retirement, but will it last 4 years, and will the old cyclotron hold up without the $700K required to overhaul the machine?

Meanwhile my photographic tag to get back on topic, this means more time to indulge in my photographic pursuits. Could be very intersting, and it seems to be the way things are going.

My legacy of being a lazy slacker continues.

Cal

Photo related in an obsessive way; I just saved $31.40 using three $10.00 off coupons and a 20% off a single item coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond filling a knapsack full of olive oil and body cream.

MFM once asked, "Where's the orgy?"

Saving up for a SL2. Also paying off the APO 35 Cron.

The money has to come from somewhere. My thinking and logic is that this is all good because it keeps me from buying other cameras. LOL. Think of all the money I saved.

Cal

Tonight "Maggie" flys home, and tomorrow she has a shoot of some importance. It is big time where she will get mucho exposue. All I can say is that she will get a "bump" of sorts.

In January she is scheduled for some big major broadcast news feature on a different network

Cal

I just marked my calendar. I like Charlene’s and I like carrot cake.

I’ll try to bring something more interesting than the M3 this time.

I just marked my calendar. I like Charlene’s and I like carrot cake.

I’ll try to bring something more interesting than the M3 this time.

P,

I will warn you that the carrot cake is mighty good. Pretty much you could make a meal out of it.

I'm known for overdoing things. I have made La-Zon-ahs using turkey trays that weigh over 40 pounds. Generally I make three of these trays because it is a lot of work. I brown up tens of pounds of meat, and there is a layers of sausages sliced lengthwise in half.

The amount of cheese I use is likely unhealthy. I got accused of poisoning "Maggie's" son-in-law because it is so good he overate until he got sick.

Also it is so big and heavy it takes a good 3-4 hours to warm up in a 400 degree oven. The plating out of a portion is also famous for destroying plastic pancake turners. All metal pan cake turners are required.

One of my secretes (don't tell anyone) is I carmelize 5 pounds of purple onions. When I do this it is like being a terrorist because it is like tear gassing everyone in my building (40 units). The onions become this little tennis ball, they add sweetness to the sause.

Another secret (don't tell anyone) is to boil the sausage for 5 minutes before frying them golden brown. Next simmer then in the sause for hours and this makes them tender and moist. The sause also gets richer.

My gal "Maggie" hates when I do this. Pretty much she has to control her eating and remain a skinny bitch like me.

"You always tend to over do things," she says, "You never moderate."

Anyways food is a big part of Chinese culture. Instead of asking, "How are you doing?" it is the tradition to ask, "When is the last time you ate?"

Cal

****, Cal, if you gave me A choice between carrot cake and an orgy, I'd have to sit down and think it over!

MFM,

I have to next day mail you a slice. This carrot cake is over the top. Pretty much like a Junior's cheesecake it is a reason to come to NYC.

Only two Lloyd's in NYC: one is down the block on Lexington Avenue in downtown SpaHa (Spanish Harlem, Hellgate); and the other is in Riverdale in the northern Bronx. I've been to both.

The one in SpaHa is this little shoebox of a storefront.

Expect a Christmas present.

Cal

Twas about 8-9 year's ago that "Maggie" came home and "slaved" me into doing up a batch of lasagna that would fill three seven inch tall turkey trays.

She was a a Professor and Social Worker and got a case where a family was in crisis. A handicapped father had stroked out, and this disabled man is what kept this family together. They had no family, had no form of support, and pretty much were suddenly all alone: a mother with two kids: one a teenager, the other a little kid.

So basically we are going to deal with their emergency, and I went full emersion into making these three trays, of which two would go to this family in need, and the third would be a reserve. This was comfort food that was required to sustain living and rescue a family.

It was about this time of the year; and the idea was to use one tray to get them through their grief; and the second tray was for their Thanksgiving later in the month.

Pretty much my freezer could only hold two trays, and this pretty much filled the entire freezer.

So for the love of a woman, I get on the subway, and at 125th Street in I transfere to a 4 or 5 train that I will take to the last stop. "Maggie" carried paper plates and utensils so the family would not be burdened with having to wash dishes, but I carried the tray of lasagna that weighed in at 45-50 pounds.

Yes that's what I do. Think of how long it takes to cook perhaps 40 pounds of meat; Think about how many boxes of lasagna it took; Think about the 25-30 pounds of cheese I used.

If this was divine intervention. Know that somehow when I did all this shopping Friday afternoon after work, how was it that everything was on sale? So I took it to the next level and just bought more. "I loaded up the truck," as I say.

We knocked on a door in a public housing project. This family was poor, and I would call them the "Skinny Family" because the youngest son looked emaciated. It was sad seeing this level of poverty, and it reminded me of my own struggles. It was very humbling, and what stopped me from crying, was knowing that I was lucky.

I ended up crying later when I was alone.

This family was ever so greatfull. They had so little. The mother said, "No one ever did something like this for us." It was heartbreaking.

I said, "You don't know what you have given us with this honor." Inside I knew I got more out of this experience than I gave. It is one of those experiences where I was most proud of myself, a time of true giving, a time of helping total strangers, and a time of great humility where I displayed my humanity.

The second tray of Lasagna didn't make it to the Skinny Family. The Law School and School of Social Work pooled together and had a catered Thanksgiving dinner delivered.

I wonder what happened to the Skinny Family? I wish them well, but then again, I know how poverty is institutionalized, and many stay trapped in cycles of poverty at no fault of their own.

Not political, but just a story about one Thanksgiving that I wanted to share. Some people are lucky, and some not so much...

The second tray got consumed at Thanksgiving at Maggie's sister's house in Westchester. This is where it broke a plastic pancake turner. Took 4 hours just to warm up. I "poisoned" Dave.

Cal

[QUOTE,You are a good man Cal ![/QUOTE]

Robert hit the nail on the head with that one. Cal, like you I'll help people who need help if I can-but I prefer that they don't know where the help came from. Three or four years ago, I walked into the post office and the post mistress ( a friend) asked me if I could help her and the mail carriers give a down on their luck family a Christmas for their kids. The post mistress and the mail carriers were getting nice clothes, etc. for the teenage daughter as teenage girls are know to be nasty and catty to any other girl who doesn't have the "right" clothes. I was asked to get toys for her younger brothers 7 & 8. I bought Lego's, about a dozen and a half Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars and a big rug with roads and buildings printed on it.

When the postmistress asked if I wanted them to know where the stuff came from, I told her I didn't want my name used and that a man dressed in black from head to toe had overhead the phone conversation and walked in 3 days later and left the toys for the boys and walked out and that's the story they were to be given.

MFM,

I just came from the Post Office to inquire about sending you some carrot cake. You should know that Lloyd's only sells carrot cakes and nothing else.

What was rude to discover is how costly it is to next day air a slice of carrot cake.

Sorry to disappoint you. I'll put it on the punch list for when you make it to NYC. We'll have to stop by and buy some cakes. BTW they make wonderful gifts. Mucho appreciated. Kinda on the level of a Peter Luga Porterhouse steak, except it is carrot cake. No lie.

Also wanted to mention that it does seem that it is the same people again and again that really matter. For some strange reason I do believe I am blessed with great luck for a reason.

There is a Chinese superstition that when you are lucky you should share it so you get more. This seems to be happening to me.

As far as the NYC Meet-Up it requires work, and because I have supported a culture that enables lazy slacker behavior, I post way off-topic just to solicit engagement and responses. Just know that in the end somehow yet again I get more than I give.

Cal

Pentode, I've been know for years for dressing all in black. I enjoy it because it scares the hell out of some people.

MFM,

Many poets and writers also seem to dress in black as a uniform of sorts. I took not of this when getting my MFA in Creative Writing.

When I wear all black I look kinda evil. Some women say I look like a criminal, and I take it as a compliment because you know how women like bad boys. LOL.

Cal

I work in the theater business. Dressing in black is often a requirement.
When I’m not at work I’ll usually be found wearing anything but black.

I work in the theater business. Dressing in black is often a requirement.
When I’m not at work I’ll usually be found wearing anything but black.

P,

I'm a drama queen. For about a decade I was a performance artist.

Performed at Second Stage Theater (Off-Off Broadway), the Joseph Papp Public Theater, The Puffin Room (SoHo), and numerous colleges and universities throughout the northeast.

Kinda funny when people meet me in real life from this forum. "You're Calzone," they say to express their shock. Before I had an avitar everyone thought I was an Italian tough guy from Brooklyn from my persona. LOL.

Cal

698 K followers on Instagram. Add on the others from other social media and pretty much it approaches nearly a million followers.

A big print feature is coming out, and this one is a big one. Also another big network broadcast news feature will be coming out. Another Kate "Shovel" campaign is coming.

Last week I modeled with "Maggie" for content promoting a brand. Within 24 hours 26K likes and mucho comments that flattered me. Somehow I feel like a trophy. LOL.

One person who put out a "like" is this designer who "dresses" "Maggie" for her to attend his shows. Not too big a jump to include me in these front row center high profile locations because this designer also does menswear.

Maggie as well as her former agent from London thinks we easily could be "branded" as a couple. I can see me actually walking the runway in NYC Fashion Week because I'm a "skinny bitch." LOL.

It would be outrageous to if they exploited my long hair. Pretty much they could sculpt my hair since it reaches my nipples, or I imagine if they teased my hair and did an "up-do" kinda Bride of Frankinstein.

Anyways this is all too strange and weird. "I was just minding my own business."

So we find out that we are on the "Diamond Deck," meaning the luxury section on an 82 cabin long river boat. I'll likely will have to dress up for dinner. Maggie says I should bring my Tux just in case. It will be strange having our own butler. Seems like somehow I'm living in a time of Dowton Abbey.

Cal

Back