Dedicated Flash Sony A7 A6000 -- MI Shoe

ColSebastianMoran

( IRL Richard Karash )
Local time
2:16 PM
I had been looking for a decent flash for the Sony A7 and A6000, these are cameras with what I believe is called the "Multi Interface Shoe."

Found this one which seems to be just about as featured and as good as the Nikon/Canon dedicated options. Godox TT685s and the X1T-S wireless flash trigger.

With the flash on camera, I get TTL auto flash, and the usual other options.

And, using the radio-based wireless trigger, I get TTL auto flash with the flash off-camera. Can command multiple flashes in three groups.

Reasonably priced. The printed manual is OK, not great. These quality third party accessories (flashes, battery grips) make we wonder about buying the more expensive camera-brand items.

171210-Sony-Godox-Flash-IMG_9902.jpg

Post some shots using the flash...I'm also looking for something other than the pop up flash on it...I will be using it with a bounce card to soften the look...

I use the Nissin Di700A Digital Flash for Sony and the Nissin Air 1 Digital for Sony with my A7's - find them excellent

I use the Nissin Di700A Digital Flash for Sony and the Nissin Air 1 Digital for Sony with my A7's - find them excellent

@Shac, that sounds good. Amazon lists it at $300, Godox is $160. I'll keep using the Godox and post if problems arise.

Post some shots using the flash...I'm also looking for something other than the pop up flash on it...I will be using it with a bounce card to soften the look...

@nikon_sam, it's like the very good Nikon flashes. Bounce, little card to get a catch light when in bounce mode. But, with the wireless trigger, off camera flash offers a lot more possibilities.

I wish these companies wouldn't lie about the guide numbers (they have been doing it since the 60s). The Godox tt685s is listed at 190 (for ISO 100) on Amazon; that seems high for this type of flash. Tell us if it lives up to that number.

If it is accurate then I might buy one for outdoor work. I wouldn't be using TTL but on manual cameras.

I was inspired to go ahead and try the Nikon SB-25 w/Lite-Scoop3 on my a6000...it's the same set-up I use on my D3x...
Shooting in Manual Mode either 200 or 400 ISO f/5 at 1/200 using the Sony 16-50 3.5-5.6 lens.
Here's what I got...I'm happy with the results...
Shots are straight out of the camera...

38155218125_d3a42f6290_z.jpg

39004665332_369bdd1c7a_z.jpg

The flash isn't as big as I imagined it would look...now all I have to buy is another Lite-Scoop...
The set-up is for shooting conventions where lunch or dinner is being served and people are sitting around tables...this coverage will work for that...
38154800715_863129bee4_z.jpg

@ColSebastianMoran - I often wonder how many of these flashes are made by the same companies. It wouldn't surprise me that Nikon doesn't actually make their own flashes

The Godox tt685s is listed at 190 (for ISO 100) on Amazon; that seems high for this type of flash. Tell us if it lives up to that number.

If it is accurate then I might buy one for outdoor work. I wouldn't be using TTL but on manual cameras.

John, a test shot, f/11 at 20' ISO 100 on a reasonable subject is well exposed. I'm not able to do a real test, but I think this item has a lot of punch.

If you are shooting manual, then this one (with all the electronics for TTL) would be a waste.

Back