Detailed review | Voigtlander 50mm apo vs. Leica 50mm apo (and summilux ASPH)

Summilux all day twice on Sunday! The most versatile has has sharpness, has the most character for a modern lens… build quality is excellent, will last a lifetime and then some… I love mine

A very fair review. I've found on the M9 and M Monochrom that I need to turn lens-detection off. No profile does this lens justice.

I did some measurements of the vignetting of the 50/2 APO Lanthar, Leica M Monochrom, lens detection turned off, focus at infinity.

LAN-DIAG.jpg

Custom Fortran program and a light box used for measurements.

In practice, vignetting is not as obvious when not at infinity.

It seems counter-intuitive, but APO lenses are more effective on Monochrome cameras and B&W film. With digital, CA can be corrected in post. Monochrome- "no can do".

I'll have to do "an apples and oranges" comparison between these two lenses.

In the 1960s and 1970s, Cosina lenses were styled after Pentax. I like that.

On the M9, and some other digital cameras and film: this lens passes a good bit of UV. I use an UV filter when shooting color. This greatly reduced some of the strange colors from reflections off chrome and metal. I ended up shooting pictures of a UV Lamp to test.

A very fair review. I've found on the M9 and M Monochrom that I need to turn lens-detection off. No profile does this lens justice.

I did some measurements of the vignetting of the 50/2 APO Lanthar, Leica M Monochrom, lens detection turned off, focus at infinity.

Custom Fortran program and a light box used for measurements.

In practice, vignetting is not as obvious when not at infinity.

It seems counter-intuitive, but APO lenses are more effective on Monochrome cameras and B&W film. With digital, CA can be corrected in post. Monochrome- "no can do".

I'll have to do "an apples and oranges" comparison between these two lenses.

In the 1960s and 1970s, Cosina lenses were styled after Pentax. I like that.

On the M9, and some other digital cameras and film: this lens passes a good bit of UV. I use an UV filter when shooting color. This greatly reduced some of the strange colors from reflections off chrome and metal. I ended up shooting pictures of a UV Lamp to test.

great details! Yeah the point on monochrome cameras are something I have not thought about. As for the color, I heard ppl complained about the yellow/green hues on the voigtlander lenses, but personally I have not experience that.

I've never had a complaint about the color rendition of my Voigtlander lenses. Maybe they are dialing in a profile that is having a detrimental effect.
I believe that the color rendition is accurate with this lens, used on my M9. Most of the time, it is on the M Monochrom with an orange or red filter.

Hope you do not mind an example on the M Monochrom using a Red filter.

No focus shift. Most lenses would shift towards infinity, and lose focus.

Back