Diane Arbus and her camera, from 10 World Famous Photographers and Their Cameras

Jason Schneider

the Camera Collector
Local time
12:27 PM
Diane Arbus (1923-1971) was a great American photographer who created stark, uniquely compelling, unforgettable portraits of marginalized groups in society including transgender people, giants, dwarves, nudists and circus performers. Although sometimes accused of exploiting her subjects, her images reveal a profound kinship with them, and highlight the importance of telling the stories of all people, particularly those who are shunned and neglected. Arbus had a history of deep depression and committed suicide at the age of 48. She sometimes used a twin-lens Rolleiflex Automat MX and a 35mm Nikon F, but her favorite camera was a Mamiya C220, an interchangeable lens TLR introduced in 1968.

I thought I remembered some of her early 35mm work being done with a Leica as well...some Coney Island photos... no? or was that really the Nikon?

I have seen her huge prints at outsiders exhibition in AGO. This year I skipped to go to same place to watch video with her, went with kids for the concert. Was hoping to see her exhibition later on at same place, AGO, but C happened.
Her huge prints shows benefits of clinically sharp lenses and format. Leica won't cut for this size.
Content was revolutionary.

Diane Arbus definitely used a Nikon F at times and is shown holding one in several portraits of her, but she shot most of her iconic images with 2-1/4 TLRs including Mamiyaflexes and Rolleiflexes. BTW you can certainly make excellent large prints from 35mm negatives including those shot with Leicas, but it's a little easier with 2-1/4 negs.

I saw in 1974 a huge exhibition of her work in London and bought her book too.

Her work was the beginning of a great wave of posed photography that actually continues to this day, more or less at the expense of unposed photography like that of Cartier-Bresson. It is striking that her work is in black and white, nowadays it would all be in color, which is at the expense of its purity, I think.

Erik.

Is it really though?

When I see how the subjects are lined up repeatedly like Tetris tiles in HCBs photos I do sometime wonder how unposed they were.

I have never seen such pictures - like Tetris tiles - of Cartier-Bresson. Which photos do you mean exactly?

On the website of Magnum you can see about 6.000 pictures of Cartier-Bresson. They are not posed.

Cartier-Bresson had a great eye for composition. Maybe that is why you think that they are posed.

Erik.

One can't go wrong with a Mamiya TLR camera for taking posed photos and for direct head on flash illumination. They are not light cameras but tough as nails and the lenses are very good.

If we believe this link here, she used the following:
  • Nikon F camera with 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor-S Auto lens
  • Rolleiflex camera with 55mm f/4 lens
  • Mamiya C33 camera with 80mm f/2.8 lens
  • Pentax 6x7 camera with 105mm f/2.4 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar lens

She normally used a lens hood on each lens of her twin lens TLR Mamiya camera, the viewing lens had a lens hood and so did the taking lens...smart idea to deal with light flare on the viewing lens.

If we believe this link here, she used the following:
  • Nikon F camera with 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor-S Auto lens
  • Rolleiflex camera with 55mm f/4 lens
  • Mamiya C33 camera with 80mm f/2.8 lens
  • Pentax 6x7 camera with 105mm f/2.4 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar lens

I saw that show at FOAM and that hardware was on display. Gave me the chills.

I thought I remembered some of her early 35mm work being done with a Leica as well...some Coney Island photos... no? or was that really the Nikon?

Some of her early 35mm work was done with a Leica - Diane was photographing well before 1959 when the F was introduced. I am pretty sure Doon still has her mother’s cameras.

Marty

Some of her early 35mm work was done with a Leica - Diane was photographing well before 1959 when the F was introduced. I am pretty sure Doon still has her mother’s cameras.

Marty

Good point... the exhibit I saw focused on the years 1956-62. Interestingly the book "Diane Arbus A Chronology" says she used Nikon in 1956 which was also the first year she started trying the Rolleiflex. Maybe she used a Nikon Rangefinder before the F.

This is an article about the exhibit I saw at the Met Breuer (formerly the Whitney was in this building before it moved, so I was confused):

https://i-d.vice.com/en_uk/article/evnyg7/early-unseen-diane-arbus-photographs-arrive-at-the-met

and another...https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...are-unpublished-photos-met-breuer-in-pictures

Back