Difficulty to fix a IIc myself?

luketrash

Trying to find my range
Local time
12:14 AM
I snagged a decent condition IIc on ebay last week. The seller said it was working, but is obviously a con artist.

The cocking rack is eaten up and I was able to manually cock the shutter carefully enough time to see that though the shutter does fire at some speed like 1/125th, no other speeds appear to be working other than Bulb.

I can most likely fix the cocking rack with the part from Micro Tools website. What I'm curious of is how difficult it is to repair the shutter?

I have zero experience with these, but am a tinkerer at heart. Also, I don't want to spend 100 dollars to make this camera work since it's just one in a sea of cameras that lives at my house.

Do any of you have any good online reference material with step by step instructions? That, or if anyone knows of anywhere in the USA that fixes these cameras cheaply, I might be willing to pay for that service as well.

The camera is worth saving. It just needs cleaned and repaired.

Here's what I was looking at last night when I popped the top off:

2256171904_210bceec10.jpg

Thanks!

I'll probably purchase the cocking rack and repair that and then decide what to do about the shutter. The blades are dry so that's a good sign.

Before you disassemble the shutter, try flood-cleaning it with Ronsonol (lighter fluid). Take both lens components out. You will been a psanner for the rear module. It takes some time and care to get the rear out, look for a spanner that opens out slightly. Be sure to allow everything to dry before re-sinatlling the optics. The black paint used to stop reflections will flow if the lighter fluid gets on it.

Back