Digital Blues

roscoetuff

Well-known
Local time
6:43 PM
Okay... so we love digital in many ways. Can't beat the crispness for some shots. Period. Color "fix" in post... yep. "Works for me".

Okay. So what I don't like is the accumulation to a point where DAM (Digital Asset Management) is screaming, "Ya' didn't do that very well, now did ya?" Yep. Should completely junk everything and restart all the DAM. Will I? Resolution for 2017 was to start fresh for 2017 with a new approach, but the number of drives is getting to be almost as confusing.

Second issue: Set aside a camera for a week or two, and the doggone thing starts to scratch back when you pick it up again. Sony are you listening? Yeah. One of my ... I mean "your" cameras is trapped in an endless reboot: "Camera error. Turn off power then on"... like that's supposed to work. It hasn't. And this from a camera that just got back from a warranty repair. Looks like it'll have to get another fixin'.

Third issue, there ought to be a way to tame the metering, computering so that you're not prompted to over-actively adjust for each and every flicker in the heavens, but encouraged to keep it simple. In other words, apply some of the fuzzy logic that works so well with focus to making things a bit tamer. Shoot film and you get that you don't exactly have to micro adjust to every thing. Yes, I shoot manual mode 100% of the time, but that's 'cause there's not really an in-between I like.

This isn't to say you can't mess up a film camera, or don't have to get them into service every now and then. You do. But digital has its moments and they aren't all sunshine.

Now there's plenty that's fabulous, but these are some things that would be nice. Am I spending some quality time with my camera trying to get the active battery to charge the system battery sufficient to skip past the set up problems? Yep. And it's working. But really? There ought to be better options. I mean digital DOES many things well. But electronic issues are still issues. And even if the electronic brain over thinks it, it's still the electronic brain that's over thinking it when it really could operate more simply. Maybe.

I bought a D40 when it came out in 2007 or so, Never had it serviced for anything.
Bought a Nikon refurbished D7100 in 2013 or so never had it serviced fo anything. They both work fine when I 'boot them up' :)

Asset management: I have two sets of drives, one for 'working' and one for backup. As drives increase in size and decrease in price, I buy a few from the next storage tier up and store the old drives, which effectively become triple and quadruple backup. At any given time, I'm only using two sets of drives.

For example, I've just bought some 8TB drives and migrated data from the 5TB drives that were almost full. The 5TB drives went into storage and now the 8TB drives are for work and backup. By the time the 8TB drives are full, there should be 10 or 12TB drives for reasonably similar prices.

Metering: live view should give you an idea of what the exposure looks like, and you can just dial exposure compensation and up down until it looks the way you want.

Back