Digital Developers

I didn't say none. Don't misquote me. I said "very little," and I stand by that. 9000 rolls of film in 5 years is an incredible number of exposures in a short period of time. It is impossible to make that many exposures that fast and have put any thought into them. I've seen video of Winogrand photographing in his last years. He walked around with a motor-driven camera randomly pointing it at things, firing off bursts of film. Even he knew the work had little value. If he thought it was worth anything, he'd have gotten the film processed and looked at it. He didn't.
ok “Very Little” what does that mean? 1-10 images? I still think that’s BS there is at least one whole book if not 2 of images that worthy and have artistic value.. If you’re being fair it was a different landscape he was working in it’s not what people were used to in NYC.. Which would lead to different types of images.. Maybe people need to recalibrate and adjust expectations… Maybe Garry was trying to figure out the landscape everyone works in different ways.

I don’t have a darkroom at home (no room), so I develop bw negatives, scan them, and then use software to make adjustments to the scanned image (e.g. removing dust spots, adjusting exposure, dodging, burning, etc.). For the longest time I used Photoshop CS-3, but Adobe stopped supporting that version and I had to find a replacement. I ultimately landed on Lightroom, and now have the subscription version. So that’s what I’m using for both scanned negs and files straight from my digital cameras. I don’t think LR is as precise in making adjustments to a digital image as PS is, but I’m used to it now, and I do like how LR allows me to organize photos. My Adobe subscription now includes PS, so I may go back to that program for editing that is harder to do in LR. I’ve been interested in Silver Efex, but that program was very expensive the last time I looked into it. One New Year’s resolution: shoot more RAW files. I’ve been shooting high-res JPEGs to save disk space, but I understand the limitations of that format.

ok “Very Little” what does that mean? 1-10 images? I still think that’s BS there is at least one whole book if not 2 of images that worthy and have artistic value.. If you’re being fair it was a different landscape he was working in it’s not what people were used to in NYC.. Which would lead to different types of images.. Maybe people need to recalibrate and adjust expectations… Maybe Garry was trying to figure out the landscape everyone works in different ways.

At the end in Los Angeles GW was dealing with a terminal disease and addicted pain killers due to chronic pain from an old injury sustained photographing on the sidelines at a University of Texas football game.

Back