Digital Upgrade Path?

Pfreddee

Well-known
Local time
7:00 PM
If you are an amateur, and you don't have a lot of what is laughingly described as "disposable income", and your photos are satisfying to you, do you feel the need to own the latest iteration of whatever DSLR or Mirrorless camera you own?

I own and use a Nikon D7000, which is good enough:)eek:) for me. I have tried to work up the enthusiasm for a new camera (D7200, D7500, D500) but I just can't manage to crank up the camera lust enough to even save up for it. I'm content to use my obsolete D7000 until it croaks. At which time I will probably break down and buy something new. But to tell the truth, I'd really rather be taking pictures.

What is your experience?

With best regards.

Pfreddee(Stephen)

I couldn't agree more.

My wife and I had a Pentax 6mp SLR, and that was fine for use, until one day we popped a card in and it didn't want to work. After some discussion my Wife got a then new 18mp Canon and I got a Sony e-mount. The Sony was cheap and I had a work international trip so got hers duty-free.

We then discovered the Pentax just needed a software upgrade for newer memory cards. And I have since bought an Epson digital RF, for which I blame you all here. We have never sold (nor thrown away) an interchangeable lens digital.

When the Sony eventually dies, and assuming I have an income, I will upgrade to a FF. Its hard to see any other significant upgrade path or desire.The Pentax uses the older lenses in its formats, but then so does the Sony. The same is true for the Epson, I just like the rangefinder. An upgrade path for the Epson would require spending money on a new Leica equal to what I might spend on a second-hand car. Or gambling 1/2 as much that the M9 had really been upgraded.

BTW the Epson has a defective meter and was cheap compared to their usual price.

One of the best ways I've found to cure a bit of camera lust is to go out and take some really good shots with the camera(s) you have. I have had a Pentax K-30 with I think the same sensor as your D7000 for about 5 years and fortunately just about whenever something newer comes calling, I'm able to go out and capture something I want for my portfolio. Sure I'd like a little better high ISO performance, but for the 5% of the time I shoot higher than 1600 (I've checked in Lightroom) I'm not sure it's worth spending another $1000 until this camera breaks or the hobby starts paying for itself.

There are very few features I need or want in a camera. As technology improves and new models come out, manufacturers keep putting more and more features in the cameras and making them less and less attractive to me.

I buy used, demo and new but discontinued camera bodies.

Back