Do I need to code lenses above 35mm

taffy

Well-known
Local time
1:07 PM
Hi,

I have managed to get a 35/2.8 C-Biogon and a 50 ZM Planar to use with my M8. I wanted to ask the M8 users here if coding these lenses are essential to get the vignetting and colors right.

Thanks in advance!

I do not use Zeiss, but M8 colors are considerably improved with the UV/IR filters. Some blacks look purple and sunlit greens take on a strange cast without. Note not plain UV filters. I use the B+W and they are difficult to tell from the Leica brand.

Leica does not provide coding for Zeiss lenses, so you must experiment. The coding is mostly for vignetting, never color correction, on the 35. 50 should be fine with UV/ir only.

A free program called Corner fix can do vignetting correction.
You can also correct vignetting in Adobe or Capture One. Try the 35 with UV/IR and see what happens. Because M8 is a crop sensor, you probably will not see vignetting .

There is no good way to permanently code lenses at home.
Chinese made mounts can be ok, but not always. Bolt pattern may not match Leicas so they may not work at all.

It is easy to correct purples to black if you make a selection and desaturate. Greens can improved, but perhaps not made prefect. I just use the filters and be done with it.

I do not use Zeiss, but M8 colors are considerably improved with the UV/IR filters. Some blacks look purple and sunlit greens take on a strange cast without. Note not plain UV filters. I use the B+W and they are difficult to tell from the Leica brand.

Leica does not provide coding for Zeiss lenses, so you must experiment. The coding is mostly for vignetting, never color correction, on the 35. 50 should be fine with UV/ir only.

A free program called Corner fix can do vignetting correction.
You can also correct vignetting in Adobe or Capture One. Try the 35 with UV/IR and see what happens. Because M8 is a crop sensor, you probably will not see vignetting .

There is no good way to permanently code lenses at home.
Chinese made mounts can be ok, but not always. Bolt pattern may not match Leicas so they may not work at all.

It is easy to correct purples to black if you make a selection and desaturate. Greens can improved, but perhaps not made prefect. I just use the filters and be done with it.

Thanks a lot! I have UV IR filters that will fit the C-Biogon with a step up ring (43 to 46mm) and since the Planar is already a 46mm filter size, no problem. Your input is appreciated since the vignetting can be addressed with software but the colors may prove tricky. I’ll be using the UVIR at all times.

I downloaded CornerFix and will give it a try.

Taffy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UV/IR filters are one essential, while coding the lens mount is another IMO. yes, even with the M8 as I unhappily discovered years ago after returning from a trip to Malta and Sicily. Both aid getting good results, especially color. For lenses that do not have the 6-bit coding already, it's worth it to have it done, for instance by DAG, who will also check and adjust as necessary for proper focus. I'd be very leery of buying a coded flange in hopes the result will work and focus correctly.

UV/IR filters are one essential, while coding the lens mount is another IMO. yes, even with the M8 as I unhappily discovered years ago after returning from a trip to Malta and Sicily. Both aid getting good results, especially color. For lenses that do not have the 6-bit coding already, it's worth it to have it done, for instance by DAG, who will also check and adjust as necessary for proper focus. I'd be very leery of buying a coded flange in hopes the result will work and focus correctly.

Hi Doug Thanks for the tip. May I ask which lenses you took on your trip Malta and Sicily? I noticed heavy vignetting with my ZM 25/2.8 when I forgot to set it to Lens Detection + UVIR in my M8’s menu system.

In instances where I do have lens detection set to ON I still get only mild vignetting in the corners. I guess setting up lens profiles in post may help a bit.

I have UVIR filters in all the time.

I used 35 2.5 with coding and 35 2.5 without coding.
I used 28 2.8 half-frame without coding. And without IR filter. And without RF :).
I liked M8 pictures as is.

U57736I1494982075.SEQ.0.jpg

Hi Doug Thanks for the tip. May I ask which lenses you took on your trip Malta and Sicily? I noticed heavy vignetting with my ZM 25/2.8 when I forgot to set it to Lens Detection + UVIR in my M8’s menu system.
Hi-- I used the 28mm Summicron in Malta and Sicily, then later switched to the 2.0/35mm Biogon ZM in the Canary Islands.

The photo below with the M8 and 28mm is in Siracusa, Sicily. Note the nearest subject's black shirt has a dull red tint due to infrared reflection from the artificial fabric, while the bicyclist at right likely is wearing a black natural fabric. This was very early in my M8 experience and I had not yet recognized the need for the UV/IR Cut filter!

U77I1289268960.SEQ.0.jpg

Hi-- I used the 28mm Summicron in Malta and Sicily, then later switched to the 2.0/35mm Biogon ZM in the Canary Islands.

The photo below with the M8 and 28mm is in Siracusa, Sicily. Note the nearest subject's black shirt has a dull red tint due to infrared reflection from the artificial fabric, while the bicyclist at right likely is wearing a black natural fabric. This was very early in my M8 experience and I had not yet recognized the need for the UV/IR Cut filter!

I see it. Got this a lot when using my 7Artisans 50 1.1 or my grandfather's Xenon Summarit 50 1.5 because I didn't use a UVIR w it.

I think for color with the M8, the UVIR is makes a significant difference. And from what I've read and the contributors on this thread and others, coding helps the most with unintended vignetting especially with 35mm lenses and wider.

This is the best article I've seen on doing your own lens codes:
https://***********.com/content/leica-lens-codes
I've not used it but made note in case I ever get a digital Leica.
John Mc
The name of the server above keeps getting starred out by this website's software.
It is "la"vida"leica" without the double quotes, and of course no spaces. I don't know what's offensive about that!

This is the best article I've seen on doing your own lens codes:
https://***********.com/content/leica-lens-codes
I've not used it but made note in case I ever get a digital Leica.
John Mc
The name of the server above keeps getting starred out by this website's software.
It is "la"vida"leica" without the double quotes, and of course no spaces. I don't know what's offensive about that!

Thanks a lot this is bookmarked on my browser :)

Back