Do I really need to...

aureliaaurita

Well-known
Local time
7:31 PM
Duct tape my holga? Is it a bit risky not doing so. Think I've already fogged half the film as I'd never used medium format before and found it terribly confusing, did a sort of 'oh is this film now...yes...oops' inspection. :rolleyes:

I've got a lot of the newest Holgas at school, and I never have students getting leaks on them- Luck? DOn't know.

RML said:
The whole point of a Holga is the possible light leaks and the crappy lens. However, I did tape up my Holga because I don't care for light leaks and am only interested in the lens. Check out http://www.holgamods.com/ for lots of information on how to modify your Holga yourself.

And maybe regular 35mm film is more up your alley. You can _easily modify your Holga to take 35mm film_.

thanks yep, already have a box that does that-was just looking to try out medium format.

Will check out the link.

When you opened the back cover you probably did fog all the film. I would toss that roll and start again. I have one of the newer Holgas and like sepiareverb don't have any light leaks. The lens and focus is wonderfully "old" and I love the prints. Have been using Kodak Portra 160VC in it (the 400 was always overexposed when outside). Have fun!

Process it, what is the worst that can happen? Ya never know until you try.

And a light leak in a Holga is not a defect, it is a feature. Learn it, master it, love it.

BTW, Holgas have a tendency to loose their backs. The clips that hold the back in place aren't the most sturdiest around. The clips kept sliding down on mine, and once or twice the back came off. In stead of putting up with it, I made 2 velcro straps to keep the back on the body.

aliceelizabeth said:
the whole film?! even though it's backed....

That's the one "light sealing" that I do with my holga; I put electronical tape over the frame counter on the back. If it's bright enough out, light will get through the backing and expose onto the film. I have a few frames with (1) (2) (3)... on them! Haha! Other than that, I don't mess with perfection, or lack thereof.

Last edited:
RML said:
BTW, Holgas have a tendency to loose their backs. The clips that hold the back in place aren't the most sturdiest around. The clips kept sliding down on mine, and once or twice the back came off. In stead of putting up with it, I made 2 velcro straps to keep the back on the body.

Good ol' rubber band works for me!

I've got 3 Holgas and none of them have any significant light leaks.. but I tape over the film counter (in a way that you can temporarily pull it back when advancing)

I'm not a fan of light leaks, and considering the lack of aperture/shutter controls, I think it's all a crap shoot as far as what you get anyway.. but the optical quality of the photos that I love is the vignetting.. and the models with plastic lenses can have some excellent distortion effects

sienarot said:
Good ol' rubber band works for me!

They did for me too... but then I experimented with some velcro and found that much more pleasing. At least there was no rubber stink in my nose all the time. :)

Back