do it yourself - vertical alignment for bronica rf 645

rowghani

Established
Local time
6:25 PM
just got a body but its a bit off vertically. I've aligned my own fuji g f 670 and im wondering if anybody else has done the bronica for themselves. Im trying to take the hotshoe cover out but having some trouble. any advise?

Hey there.

I had an RF645 with a vertical alignment issue. I sent it to KEH to fix. But, they had problems with it. When i got it back, the camera would drain its batteries in a few days, with the camera switched Off. I don't know if the vert alignment adjustment is close to some other electric/electronic bit, but my assumption was that they may have damaged something when adjusting it. When i sent the camera back to them the second time, to repair the battery drain issue, the camera was never seen (by me) again. They couldn't fix it, so they sent it to ToCad, and i never got it back. I don't remember if they lost it, or if they just couldn't repair it.

So.... I don't know. I never had the camera apart, so i have no idea what happened. But, consider it a cautionary tale of sorts.

The vertical alignment of the RF645 is fragile. Just transporting it in a photobag on the backseat of the car got it out of alignment. So I'm interested in how it goes as well.

^ looks as though my purchase of the Mamiya 7 over the (much lusted after) RF645
was a better idea than I'd imagined. I've had the Mamiya in my bag on numerous motorcycle trips and it's alignment has never varied . My experiences lead me to believe
it's more robust than it's given credit for (or I'm just really lucky !) Peter

nice!

DIY RF´s alignment is like changing a flat of your car (even easier) you don´t send your car back to stutgart to change the tire, do you?

Can't comment on the alignment adjustment, but then again it has never been a problem. Unlike others, I've found the RF645 to be quite rugged. I've traveled extensively with it and it has been very reliable. I received it through Canada Post unscathed too, which I think would subject it to a little more "handling" than normal.

Steve

nice!

DIY RF´s alignment is like changing a flat of your car (even easier) you don´t send your car back to stutgart to change the tire, do you?

You'd think so, but if KEH can screw up my RF645's electronics, who knows. Maybe the this particular camera was engineered in such a way that there's something critical near the rf adjustment access point that's easily disturbed or broken. Reminds me of trying to get anyone but Mercedes to do anything connected with my car's audio system. Third-party stereo guys won't touch it, because there's (supposedly) a significant risk of affecting the electronics of the whole car. Or some such.

The Bronica RF 645s had a known electrical issue in certain lower serial numbers . I had had one of my RF's given a CLA by Tamron, the parent company, and replaced the winding mechanism this past August. They told me that they were planning to cease work on the RF645 Dec 31, 2015, but they were incredibly helpful, and perhaps they might still be willing to help you out with this issue. Tamron USA Repairs 10 Austin Blvd., Cormack, NY 11725 (800-827-8880) [email protected]. Hope this helps

Hi, so anybody have tried to align the vertical rf? Since that wonderful camera is very difficult to repair if anybody know please explain!

Back