Do you sell through Shutterstock? Uh-oh.

sdotkling

Sent through the ether
Local time
2:50 PM
If you sell your stock photos through Shutterstock, you might want to reconsider. Turns out there are hundreds of complaints online about their fraudulent billing practices. I know because I’ve been a Shutterstock customer, buying stock photos for a project I did last year.

The crux of the matter is a murky “automatic renewal” of the annual Shutterstock plan that a designer or art director must “enroll” in when buying a photo.

In my case, a $449 fee was charged to my credit card without any kind of prior notice, exactly one year after I paid a similar amount for 5 stock shots. I noticed it on my AMEX statement by chance. I didn't know I had an annual plan. I certainly never asked for it to be renewed automatically forever.

When I called to complain, I was told the charge couldn’t be reversed once the plan was “activated.” "What triggers this activation?” I asked. “It happens as soon as the account is charged,” the lady on the phone said, thereby achieving a perfect Catch-22 circular argument.

After I finished yelling, it didn’t take much research to find hundreds of similar tales from Shutterstock's customers online. Questionable “auto-renewal” seems to be a major part of Shutterstock’s revenue stream.

So what does this have to do with photographers?

If Shutterstock’s business model relies on victimizing designers and art directors, don't bet that they become angels when it comes to your royalty statements. I'm cynical enough to think they’re cooking the books at both ends.

Anyone have a similar experience? Until proven otherwise, let the photographer beware!

the burn is real. I thought I got pissed at some extra duty charges but $450 ups the ante quite a bit.

i feel your pain...

thanx for posting, i'm sure you saved some people from being similarly burned!

Back