Do you use two bodies with primes?

yinyangbt

MFL addicted
Local time
10:56 PM
I switched to mft , with fast primes and I want small and light. Omd10 2 is great . I am thinking of getting of a second body in order to avoid too frequent change of lenses and gathering dust on sensor .

Do you use such system ?
what body do you suggest ? wouldn't like do spend much ,I already did on three primes and em10 mk2

Not with M4/3 but my standard procedure is to use two bodies with prime lenses.

These days it's a pair of Fuji XPro2 bodies, one with the 23mm f/2 and one with the 35mm f/2 (equivalent to 35mm and 50mm in 35mm format). Sometimes I'll carry other focal lengths as well but most shooting is done with those two primes on those two bodies.

I use a dual camera prime set up with M43 an EM10 mk1 and either a Panasonic G3 or G5. The G3 can be had for less than £100 very often, I paid less than £50 for both of mine.

In the good old days, well at least my good old days I lugged around two Canon F1 bodies with a few primes - man that bag was heavy. Anyway, the sole purpose of the two bodies was to have two different types of film ready for use at all times. Nowadays I usually (make that always) carry one camera body and one prime. I want to travel light and with the versatility of digital cameras I can change ISO and many other things on the fly. And, when I shoot film I’m pretty much down to one film anymore so no need for two film bodies when i do that.

Man, when I think back to how much gear I carried around in those days (including a tripod), well now that I’m 63 I don’t think I could make it around the block carrying that much stuff.

Mike

Often use two cameras and almost always travel with two. For the most part it's a Nikon F3P with 50mm and a Fuji x100t with 35mm equivalent. Both on neck strap, the Fuji on a shorter leash. For me the point is film & digital rather than for FL considerations.

In 7 years of shooting with the Micro Four-Thirds system, one of the nicer aspects, even in a place like White Sands National Monument, has been not having to think once about dust on the sensor. Possible dust on the sensor is something I would not see as being a reason for carrying a second body with this system.

Two Pen F bodies, one with the 12mm f2 and the second with a 25mm f1.8 and a third lens, the 45mm f1.8 being there for when/as needed would have to be a pretty powerful set.

Yes I use a .58x MP with a 28mm and a .85x M7 with 50mm. That’s my basic travel kit.

Yes I use a .58x MP with a 28mm and a .85x M7 with 50mm. That’s my basic travel kit.

Same, except 0.72 M2 in place of M7. Absolutely brilliant film travel kit!

Of course this is about digital, but the basic principle is the same :)

I switched to mft , with fast primes and I want small and light. Omd10 2 is great . I am thinking of getting of a second body in order to avoid too frequent change of lenses and gathering dust on sensor .

If small and light is the aim, I don't think adding another (largely redundant) body will achieve that... Also, as mentioned above, Olympus sensor dust-reduction tech is great, and I've never had issues from 'too frequent' lens changes.

Personally I'd say resist the GAS and enjoy the small and light kit you already have :)

I've used two bodies in this way, sometimes Nikon SLRs and sometimes Leica M. And when in France I used two IIIc bodies, one with a 35mm and the other with a 25mm. I've also tried using a 100 speed film in one body and 400 in the other. If you've got them, might as well use them!

I’m switching to m4/3 to be able to have two bodies with two primes. Probably two gx9. With one summilux 15/1.7 and one 25/1.7. My other option is Fuji xe-3 and one x-pro2 but the size and price difference is to big. New in Sweden the Panasonic setup is more than $1200 cheaper. Also The summilux 15/1.7 it my all time favorite prime. And I have owned a digital Leica M with a summicron.

I often shoot where I don’t have the time to change lenses.

I almost always use two cameras together. Mostly it is M8 and M9, but I also sometimes switch to Olympus E-P2 and E-PL1. When I use M/3 cameras, I usually have a 50mm/1.4 on one camera and a 25/1.4 on the second camera. The cop gives me 50mm and 100mm.

I could see taking my Pen F, with either a 17 or 25 lens, and a Fuji X70 to handle the equivalent of 28mm. I know the X70 is not mft, but it's very small and very good.

When I travel, I usually take one Leica M camera (or Voigtlander variant) w/ either a 50 or 35, loaded with black and white film, and a Pen F with a 17mm lens to get color photos.

Old days, one monochrome body, one color. As many lenses as would fit in space remaining.

Most recent old days, one Leica M body & 3 to 5 lenses and a spare body.

Now one Leica M digital, 3 lenses or sometimes one . 75 years is tough on the body.

Sometimes resort to Nikon FX and a zoom or two or few primes. Love the Nikon F2 and wish there was a digital version. Never do color film.

LX100 + GX80 with the 45-175 X lens. Makes an excellently lightweight rig covering 24-350 in 35mm terms. LX100 on my wrist, GX80 on a neck strap or a soft bag I bought for almost nothing in Thailand a few years back. Works for me on a day-long walk

Jim

No. That has always seemed to me to be doubling the load and the amount of work I need to do to organize my shooting.

On paid jobs, I'll have a second body in the bag in case my working camera fails—but it never has. I don't do paid jobs any more, and it's just not an issue to change a lens when I need to.

Olympus has excellent, automatic sensor cleaning built into every body. There's nothing to worry about.

G

Yes, I always take two M4, one with a 50/2 Rigid and one with a 21/3.4 Super Angulon. The straps have different lengths so the bodies can never hit each other. I switched to two bodies after I missed too many shots while I was changing lenses. This is much faster and gives me the benefit of 72 photos before I need to reload.

Changing lenses takes almost as long as setting up a tripod. If you don't carry a tripod, you might habe good reasons to usw two bodies. Unless ultra light is necessary. I'm usually less worried about dust than about dropping lenses and the patience of my travel companions.

Back