Do you use your cameras in the rain?

Do you use your cameras in the rain?

• No, never.

Votes: 73 9.4%
  • Sometimes, only when its slightly raining.

Votes: 438 56.6%
  • I dont mind using my cameras in strong rain.

Votes: 263 34.0%

• Total voters

lubitel

Well-known
Local time
6:57 PM
I try to never ever use any of my cameras (except holga :) ) during the rain. But sometimes, like today, I just had to take the picture, the rain was somewhat weak, and I tried to be fast but the camera (bessa r in this case) still got a bit wet.

am I being overly protective? Do you use your cameras in any weather? any tips?

thanks.

Yes, I do use my cameras in the rain. Of course, I try not to expose them for more than a few seconds (composing, (re)setting aperture/shutter time, focus and shooting). When they get wet I wipe them with a dry towel. When not shooting I keep them either in a sling bag of around my neck under my coat. Works well.

Yes, I use them in the rain. Otherwise there wouldn't be many opportunities to snap pictures here.. Of course I keep the camera inside a raincoat, and only take it out to take a picture..

I carry mine in the rain, with lens pointing down, raising only to shoot.

Cosidering the amount of rain we get in the UK I'm surpised we don't all carry a Nikonos!

Paul

Yes. With the camera inside a plastic bag with a hole cut for the lens. (Illustration borrowed from 'The 35mm Photographer's Handbook' by Julian Calder and john Garrett.)

In the rain, in the swimming pool, at the beach.

That is what the "beaters" and "$5 Thrift store finds" are for.

I'm not worried about using a camera in the rain. I don't let it get very wet though and I do try to dry it right away. But if I was scared to use it in the rain, I'd take no photos EVER
*currently raining outside*

hmm, I guess I could make one of those plastic-photo-baggies.

or... make a hole in my pocket for the lens, and just shoot from the hip :)

I wouldn't mind shooting in the rain, but first I have to drag myself out of my house. Shooting during snow wouldn't give me any headaches either because it doesn't really wet the camera instantely with the metal/plastic getting cold as fast as they do. (since snow (or freezing temperatures for that matter) has become so rare this winter around here, there isn't really any need to spend much thought on it.)

When I shoot on light rain days I keep the camera on a tripod and use a shower cap to keep it dry, then quickly remove it for the shot.

Well, the choices were exactly where I find myself. I don't confine myself to drizzle only, but I sure can't say I don't care how heavy a downpour is. No matter, if I want a photo, I try to get it, but try to protect my gear also. If I can do that, I will get the photo. I will not put my gear at unnecessary risk, however.

Rain? What's that? It's been several months since we've had any significant rainfall. The current drought started shortly after I bought a Minolta Weathermatic Dual 35 water resistant camera so I could take photos in the rain.

-Paul

What Remy said...that's me, too. The good thing about GAS is you always have a camera, even one for rain, but I'm still protective and careful.

I like shooting in the rain. I carry my cams in a Nova 2 bag and only take them out when I'm ready to shoot. I often shoot from under an umbrella or an overhang. I try to keep the camera and lens as dry as possible. If it's raining hard, I take my Olympus Stylus Epic instead of more expensive gear. It's weather proofed.

Gene

Back