Canada Does anyone downunder want to share some HP5+ at $2.15 AUD per roll from Freestyle?

The order is coming via fedex which means little because every time I get some thing via fedex it winds up in our postal system because they won't deliver to me. One of their delivery drivers had a bad experience with my driveway during one of our wet spells and I've been officially black listed! :D

All fedex items now go straight to a mail centre some twenty kilometres from me and it eventually winds up at my local post office who also don't deliver ... which is a twelve kilometre drive away!

Quite laughable really. :p

Aaaaarrrghhh, don't get me started on Auspost and couriers. What seriously erks me with couriers is when you call up with a genuinely urgent "where's my customer's delivery?" enquiry and then they put you on hold with 30 minutes of recorded messages telling you how freekin' awesome they are, only to find out that the parcel is waiting for collection at some god forsaken outpost because they don't deliver to door in that area. No one tells you this when you book it, nor is there any code on the online booking portal to alert you with a pop up when you insert the address. Apparently in their contractural terms of service, they are not obliged to. :bang:

Based on the exchange rate at the time I ordered the film and factoring in associated freight costs this HP5+ is going to cost around $2.60 AUD per roll, landed! :eek:

That's amazing ... who would ever have thought you'd be able to buy HP5+ for that price!

Well done Keith - great timing! Thank you. :)

This is actually very easy to do when you're only dealing with one item description Chris ... it avoids all that buggerising around trying to work out everyone's share of freight based on the weight of what they ordered which always makes my head spin. The total amount including freight in Oz dollars divided by 420 rols of film was pretty simple stuff to work out ... even for an ex-pat Kiwi! :D

An update for those who have ordered:

According to the fedex tracking info the parcel has cleared Australian inspection and is in transit ... which probably means that by now fedex have handed it to Australia Post because they don't like my driveway. Aust Post willl likely get it to my local post office by the end of the week. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to seeing all that Ilford film! :D

I just checked the fedex site again and it's now marked as delivered and signed for ... :rolleyes:

Yeah sure ... to the front desk of the Ferny Grove mail centre!

I know their routine by now ... it should be at my local rural PO tomorrow! :D

Keith, I suspect you have already received it and you are now trying to win some time to enjoy the feeling of owning so much film :D

For those in Brisbane, how about we organize a meeting on the weekend to get the film from you and also get to know each other?
Anyone interested?

Keith, I am bummed that I somehow missed this thread! If you decide to do something like this again (for 135 or 120) I will be in for 20+ rolls fer shure!

Regards
Scott

Well done Keith.

I recently received a lens from the UK, sent via a shipping company called Interlink. It had a large orange sticker saying "X-RAYED." Judging from the overlapping of adhesive labels it was x-rayed in the UK.

I wonder if film shipments, especially large ones, from the USA are x-rayed. I received a camera from the US several years ago and the vendor had included some film. The package said "SCANNED." I think it was DHL but I'm not sure. I phoned them to ask if "scanned" meant x-rayed but they would not tell me, assuming that I could have needed the info for ulterior motives. I didn't use the film because I don't use that sort (Scala).

Not wanting to be pessimistic, just wondering.

Last edited:
Well done Keith.

I recently received a lens from the UK, sent via a shipping company called Interlink. It had a large orange sticker saying "X-RAYED." Judging from the overlapping of adhesive labels it was x-rayed in the UK.

I wonder if film shipments, especially large ones, from the USA are x-rayed. I received a camera from the US several years ago and the vendor had included some film. The package said "SCANNED." I think it was DHL but I'm not sure. I phoned them to ask if "scanned" meant x-rayed but they would not tell me, assuming that I could have needed the info for ulterior motives. I didn't use the film because I don't use that sort (Scala).

Not wanting to be pessimistic, just wondering.

After numerous shipments from freestyle I can't say there have been any issues. I think they mark the boxes appropriately so that they (the feds) know there is film inside.

I think those low power scans they do have zero effect on film from what I've read. I can do it much more harm in my darkroom occasionally! :D

Keith, I suspect you have already received it and you are now trying to win some time to enjoy the feeling of owning so much film :D

For those in Brisbane, how about we organize a meeting on the weekend to get the film from you and also get to know each other?
Anyone interested?

That's a good idea but I won't have the stuff in my hands until very late friday ... then I'm basically out for most of the weekend.

I think a Brisbane RFF get together at some stage would be good though irregardless of this current film order. I reckon coffee or lunch and a wander around West End is always good value ... I love the place!

Keith, I am bummed that I somehow missed this thread! If you decide to do something like this again (for 135 or 120) I will be in for 20+ rolls fer shure!

Regards
Scott

Anyone can do this any time and you'll generally get enough people jumping in to make it worth while. Freestyle is very easy to deal with and you'll usually find someone 'downunder' will do this every couple of months and will post a thread pushing it ... so keep watching! :D

Freight can be a killer these days so it generaly pays to pick items that have considerable savings over our local market ... the freight for this current order was just under $200.00 USD. :eek:

Very good that our dollar is so strong against the greenback for these sorts of things at the moment ... make hay while the sun shines as they say! :)

Damn, I missed this too :( Not that I could ever shoot 20 rolls before expiry anyway. But you know we could get a similar price (maybe a little more) per roll if someone ordered 30m of the stuff from camerastore.com.au ($70) and loaded into individual cassettes

Damn, I missed this too :( Not that I could ever shoot 20 rolls before expiry anyway. But you know we could get a similar price (maybe a little more) per roll if someone ordered 30m of the stuff from camerastore.com.au ($70) and loaded into individual cassettes

Assuming about eighteen rolls from bulk loading for 30 metres ... that's about $3.90 per roll without cassettes. Which is a hell of a lot better than the $12.10 that Vanbar are asking currently ... that price amazes me because generally they seem to be pretty reasonable.

It is actually about 10 cents cheaper per exposure to buy their 24 exp HP5+
Yanks can get the same film 36 exp for like $4 per roll :eek:
It sucks living in Australia sometimes :(

Doing 24 exposures actually makes a bit of sense if you have an Epson 700 scanner. The trays fit 24 exposures (4x6neg strips) so you can batch scan 1 roll per tray and not have to run a half loaded tray to finish scanning the roll.

Back