Does anyone make an adapter?

No, its not possible. The flange focal distance (the distance from the mount to the film) in the M is 1mm less than the flange focal distance on the screwmount cameras. Leica sis this intentionally to make it possible to use a 1mm thick adapter to allow owners of old screwmount lenses to use them on the later M-mount cameras. Because of this, an M-mount lens mounted on a screwmount body would not focus to infinity, plus the M-mount is larger in diameter than the m39 screwmount.

Yup, but as Chris says this allows all those lovely LTM lenses to be used on your M mount cameras. I have, thanks to an inheritance, a digital Leica M Type 240. I own almost no M mount lenses but I own many LTM/M39/screwmount whatever name you want to use lenses and they all work fine (well, unless they're from the former Soviet Union then they need someone like Sonnar_Brian to gently tweak them) and many of them - my Cosina Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.5, Canon 50/1.4 & Chiyoko Super Rokkor 50/2 - are my favorites and world class lenses. Look for Nikkor 50/2 and Canon 50/1.8 as well - both are easy to find, reasonably inexpensive and glorious. Just make sure they are in good condition - after 60+ years that's not always a given.

Buy them and enjoy them. They make photography more fun :D

If you really want to mount M lenses on an LTM body, there is a solution, albeit very expensive:

If I had the $3k to hand, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

A couple of years ago, I asked a UK-based tech if he'd be willing to give it a go. Last I heard he was still thinking about the best way to do it.

Back