Does anyone use an Olympus XA1

David Hughes

David Hughes
Local time
2:12 AM
The title says it all; I ask as I've not seen or heard it mentioned and yet it's a perfectly simple point and shoot.

If you ignore the catch to open the back and the shutter button, then it's got two controls (1) switches the flash on and (2) changes the film speed - using a coin - from 100 to 400 ASA. There's no more to it than that. And it takes decent photographs and can be picked up for a song these days.

Regards, David

Well, nearly a week later and it looks like we are a very small minority. A pity really as they are pleasant "no fuss" cameras that turn out a decent photograph. And "no batteries required" which is great.

Regards, David

I used them for years, I bought several when new and gave them as gifts to family members. A neat little camera with a sharp lens that is very pocketable.

Well, nearly a week later and it looks like we are a very small minority. A pity really as they are pleasant "no fuss" cameras that turn out a decent photograph. And "no batteries required" which is great.

Regards, David

I guess there isn't that much traffice in the P&S forum so it was missed when it scrolled off the RFForum area.

I think probably at least 1/3 of the active members have at least one version of the XA series. I have the XA and really enjoy using it.

XA and XA1

XA and XA1

I had an XA and an XA1 for years. It went everywhere in my pocket or any bag. I took pictures wherever I was. Excellent camera with an excellent lens. Oh dear, I feel nostalgic. It was exactly what was needed, manual or auto with good protection for the lens. Oh for a digital equiv.
However is there not a problem in getting the right sort of battery now?

Not a problem with the XA at least. I forget now what battery it had. I replaced it with the same one and all is well.

Still have all three - well, 3-out-of-4 XA models. (No XA4)

Good solid little cameras. As Luxbob wished - what a great digi it would make. Fixed lens and brightline finder! Oly's slider digis don't match up.

I have an XA for manys years; but i turned to digital photography . But it's still a nice little pocket camera.

I have an XA for manys years; but I turned to digital photography . But it's still a nice little pocket camera.

I had an XA and an XA1 for years. It went everywhere in my pocket or any bag. I took pictures wherever I was. Excellent camera with an excellent lens. Oh dear, I feel nostalgic. It was exactly what was needed, manual or auto with good protection for the lens. Oh for a digital equiv.
However is there not a problem in getting the right sort of battery now?
Hi,

The XA, XA2 and XA3 all take two SR44's or LR44's; so no problem there and the XA1 is solar powered.

Early digital cameras, from the 2 megapixel period, had prime lenses. Some of the Olympus ones were very like the XA but with more bulk and 4 AA's.

Regards, David

Hey...I have a XA1...I found it at a garage sale ($2), it came with the flash but it didn't work...
I haven't used it yet...maybe I should load it and throw it in with my cycling gear...

How's the lens on this little guy...???

Last edited:
Hey...I have a XA1...I found it at a garage sale ($2), it came with the flash but it didn't work...
I haven't used it yet...maybe I should load it and throw it in with my cycling gear...

How's the lens on this little guy...???

Hi, The lens is great for what it is and it does it pretty well. Here's a sample at a greatly reduced size.
969330073_jbkov-L.jpg

Regards, David

I know it's an ancient thread, but I just picked one up from a thrift shop for almost nothing. I got excited because I remembered reading something about the XA series and how good they were for their size.

Well obviously I have found out that the XA1 is not a RF like the others, so my initial disappointment was turned around when I worked out exactly what it was - a battery-less fixed focus camera. I have loaded some cheap film in it and I think I'm going to have some fun.

Some of the seals look a bit iffy, but there is a guy on eBay with seal kits if it fails.
Some of the XA fan sites dump great big piles of doo-doo on the XA1 but I think it will be a great little (literally) camera I can always have in my bag. And it's probably given me GAS to collect the others in the series. :p

I have an XA2 and love the size. I really, really wish it would focus closer. But that's my only complaint. If it could do 2 ft though, that'd make me a really happy camper...4 is just a bit much as a portrait guy with a 35mm lens, but c'est la vie, price i pay for a super compact system! I use the flash often, just load it up with some cheap Arista Premium 400, and I'm alls et!

Well, a 28mm lens at minimum focus is okay for portraiture IF you don't mind big noses and distant ears, but in my view the XA-4 is not so hot for portraits really except for environmental portraiture. For that, it excels.

I have been a fan of the XA genre ever since they came out -- '80's I think? -- and now I have a complete set of black ones. (Starting on red with a beat-up but working red XA3 -- and I know, the red ones don't work any better.)

The XA1, widely disparaged, is indeed a pretty decent shooter, if you consider it for what it is. CDS meter is not as accurate as the rest of the series, and others have pointed out that you'd best be happy with the focus.

That said -- it seems to be a solid little guy. You won't hear folks griping about the RF being dim either. And as Mr. Hughes pointed out, no batteries. Woohoo!

In my world, I stick a fresh roll of film in it and it rides around in the car or the truck or on the bike for a while, recording randomness that I run across. Then I have the film developed and discover interesting surprises from those many weeks (or months) ago.

I kinda like 'em, as long as you can accept that you're not going to be very involved with anything except the composition.

The XA was my first camera, a birthday present when I turned 11 or so. Still have it, shoot it very occasionally. RF patch is yellow and dim, so I generally just think, "Why did I load this and not just bring my MP?"

Still nice, though.

Back