Does anyone use LUTs ?

GaryR

Local time
1:02 PM
Having recently discovered the world of LUTs (Look Up Table) color tones, I wondered if anyone else used them in their processing workflow. LUTs are widely used in the Advertising to make quick changes to the color tone of a scene, but they also work well for digital photography.

The raw jpg from my Fuji X-E3 looks quite flat, so I applied the mathieustern.com "ARA" LUT to add some pop

Shot through a chain-link fence, this pathway ends abruptly due to the badly eroded cliffs along Lake Erie.
_DSF1488_1.jpg

mathieustern.com "ARA" LUT
_DSF1488.JPG

A more extreme LUT example converts normal 'green foliage' shots to mimic Kodak Aerochrome IR film. (iPhone shot converted with mathieustern IRLUT).
mathieustern_IRLUT.jpg

For the pathway photo, I think the first example looks convincing. I see nothing about it that looks manipulated. The earth tones in the second one seem too saturated and distracting. I guess the sky is also too saturated to go with the mood of the photo. I know you are just experimenting, though!

For the pathway photo, I think the first example looks convincing. I see nothing about it that looks manipulated. The earth tones in the second one seem too saturated and distracting. I guess the sky is also too saturated to go with the mood of the photo. I know you are just experimenting, though!
Much appreciated Rob. Yes, I do tend to experiment with visible light photography, as well as IR and UV captures.

Back