Does developing your film make you a better photographer?

Does developing your film make you a better photographer?

• No.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Yes.

Votes: 46 39.7%
  • Not Sure.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I like Pie.

Votes: 26 22.4%

• Total voters
jimmygcreative said:
here are my notes: vents, glove, eye protection, no smoking, keep food away, and clean up each time when chemicals are dry they get airborne. take a shower after your done.

Tights. Don't forget the tights. And it's better to take a bath in Clamato when finished than a regular shower. And for Godsakes NEVER mistake your fixer for a Vodka and tonic. And NEVER develop negatives or print n'ked (even though it is dark...) or when wearing lederhosen.

Last edited:
I voted no. Before the M8 came out, I shot an M7. The first day with the M8, I reviewed the images on the LCD and thought, "What the hell? These frame lines are a LOT looser than I thought."

Never saw the extent of that looseness in negs...Because of the ability to instantly review, while the shots are still fresh in your mind -- and sometimes the camera is still on the tripod -- you can learn much more, much more quickly, with digital, IMHO. I had a darkroom off and on for thirty years, and jumped on Photoshop as soon as I heard about it...Never looked back, though I still occasionally shoot film and scan negatives (which are developed by somebody else.)

JC

NB23 said:
I did not attack you.

And you call me ignorant. Is this an attack? Just asking.

Now, please visit my little gallery. If it's not enough for your taste I will direct you to my other galleries. If they aren't enough, I'll list a series of prizes and accomplishments I've done.

Ignorant, me? Im many things, yes. In photography, hardly. You could learn from me.

Your comments were offensive and directed towards me. Your ignorance comes from the fact you do not know me. Your arrogance comes from the fact you think you can be condescending toward me. While it has nothing to do with this, I fail to find anything in your portfolio which gives you licence to be condescending to anyone on this site.

I have no problems saying I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. But I still think your answer was a smart-ass answer.
Just as you, I have my own take on things.

I voted yes ... I'm desperate to be a better photographer and so I just recently began developing BW at home. Now is the opportunity for my positive 'self re-inforcement' and validation.

If I was allowed two votes I would have taken pie

I voted No.

Developing your own film simply opens up another dimension in your effort to get a good image in the end.

It could make a picture better, but it also can make it worse. It's the same with its counterpart, digital post-processing, you could spend a lot of time and make your image either better or just plain weird.

Plus, you have to balance it with what you are willing to go through to access this new dimension.

Yes,

as does collecting old gear, to realize how basic photography can be

as does the odd home-repair-job on your (least expensive) camera to better understand how it works

as does not worrying when the battery is flat and resorting to sunny sixteen

Groeten

Vic

I voted no. I just developed my first roll of black and white film last night. It didn't make me any better and probably won't in the future. It made me feel like a real photographer though =)

"Does developing your film make you a better photographer?"

No. but if your film is not developed you won't be able to see the images.

(You didn't say "yourself", did you?)

No. It may make your end results look better to you, as you are in control of the processing and developing and all the tweaking. But, handing off the developing work to someone knowledgeable (the developer) allows the photographer to concentrate on his craft.

This thread reminded me of the debate over wedding photography. You have the photographers that charge for their photography and pass on the proofs AND negatives to the couple. Then you have the photographers who are printers, who keep the negatives and require all prints to be ordered through them. Are they photographers or developers/printers?

It should give you an appreciation of the effort that goes into a good photograph. I'd say 40% is gaining access and being there. 20% is knowing how to operate a camera. And 40% is development and enlarging technique.

Actually I have no idea what percent is what. It's all about knowing what to look for. Having a sense of timing. Understanding your equipment. A lot of it is the after capture process. Which is also related to talent. But just because you developed it yourself doesn't make it better. It just gives you a sense of the hard work involved. You're less likely to run around willy nilly shooting ducks in the park if you have to spend an hour later that day developing that roll of crappy duck shots at the park.

Last edited:
Back