Does this camera exist?

I'm looking for the smallest/flattest 28/3.5 in LTM to pair with a Barnack for a preset pocket cam...with a Voigt 28/35 minifinder.

The Canon Serenar 28mm f/3.5 is almost flat. Sticks out of the camera less than 1/2 inch. One of Gary Winogrand's favorites.

Even the Kobalux 28mm lens is pretty flat without it's hood.

Phil Forrest

Actually, if what you are looking for is a small camera that it black and stealthy, there is none better in low light, even complete darkness than the original Konica Hexar, black with silent mode. It will focus faster than you can think, properly meter and take a photo before you know you even took the photo.
Just a bit bigger than a Rollei 35, but so, so amazing. These days, they are almost as cheap as the Rollei since both are cult cameras. $400USD will get you a good copy of either camera.

Phil Forrest

But the Hexar AF has a top shutter speed of 1/250 (!), which is a huge problem for me... Both Hexars are interesting anyway...

Cheers,

Juan

Last edited:
I haven't tried those, I passed up a Rollei B35 for $15, that was silly. I know this forum loves the XA but I find it horrible to use in practice. For most people here all that matters is the end-result, but I get most of my kicks out of the process (does that make me some sort of impoverished budget newbie gearhead?) -- and shooting the XA feels like using a toy camera. No fun at all for me. Tiny little plastic focus lever thing with no feedback, awful finder, frustrating auto-exposure with batteries etc. Two rolls was enough for me, I gave it back to my friend.

Let me just repeat in case it wasn't clear enough the first time around:

I have no experience with Oly XAs
End of story. I am not advocating this camera in any way. It's totally besides the point, anyway, as Juan already has one and likes it.

I have tried all the cameras I listed, some of them extensively. I love my Vito II to death but the VF is terrible. There are situations I have to hold the camera upside down to be able to frame my shot.

So, get the clip-on accessory shoe and an aux finder and what have you got? Something that vaguely resembles a Leica I but is much slower to use. Now that really fits the OP's shooting style...

Last edited:
You must be kidding! If I'm shooting in a dangerous place, and I don't want the criminals, prostitutes and junkies find out I'm shooting because I don't want to be robbed or killed, of course size is one of the things that matters the most!

Oh, you talking about THAT kind of taking pictures...really stealthy....during Cold War they used subminiature cameras, now we have got Drink Can cams and I'd consider $10 keychain digital camera if we aren't talking about bad light.

I can't figure what is worse if one gets caught snapping pictures in such a place - if criminals realize they even can not make money from robbed camera, they may decide at least to crack dumb head, which has born idea how to minimize income of innocent victims of photographer.

Back