"Downgrading" to M10?

pmu

Well-known
Local time
7:33 AM
Ok, in all other ways, I would choose M10 over my Fuji GFX50R, but after using the Fuji for over 2 years, I feel it would be a significant downgrade in image quality. I have a bunch of M10 dng files in my computer and they feel so small compared to 50R files. They would still be fine for everything else except bigger prints. I'm guessing 50-60 cm would still be fine. I will at some point make an exhibition, but I have no idea how big would I print though.

Anyone else had similiar situation?

I have both.... I can say I shoot my M10-P WAY more than my 50R comes down to size for me.... The camera I'm most like grab and go is the M10-P 95% of the time.

If you sold your M10 to upgrade to the GFX 50R and are looking to switch back to an M, you may consider getting an M10R which has almost the same megapixel count.

If you sold your M10 to upgrade to the GFX 50R and are looking to switch back to an M, you may consider getting an M10R which has almost the same megapixel count.

No, I never had digital M before. Always wanted one. Instead of waiting for 2-3 more years for cheaper used M10R, I was hoping the M10 could be good enough. And it definitely would be if I had not seen those amazing GFX files :)

I ran across a couple of files from my, long departed, M9 and M9m yesterday. They are still lovely. You can only tell if a print holds up by trying it really, but by and large I don’t make big prints anyway. Ymmv of course

edited to add big to prints - I like prints and don’t really like screen watching

I tried again the Topas Gigapixel. I am now fully convinced that this is the solution. I enlarged couple of M10 files to 10000 pix (longer side) and after doing all of the usual editing steps as well, the images look just amazing, filled with detail and sharpness. I would never need bigger files than that. Pretty unbelievable results.

That seals the deal, I will get the M10.

No more M10 - -25C concerns?

Based on a few opinions, that should not be a huge concern. My friend had used M10 in cold for some years and survived with only one battery. I would get two batteries with the camera. Mostly the temperature in winter is -5C to -10C, I mean in those days if I stay outside taking pictures. -15C to -25C is also normal, but I will just adapt to it. I guess I can buy one extra battery if needed. Or usb powered charged with power bank. Or shoot with my film cameras.

If you have the GFX50R, there is no such thing as “downgrading”... period!
If You have the 50R and the Leica (whatever) and you are in a quandary about which is the better rig for you… you need to take more pictures.
People should just do what they want to do; take their pictures, use their stuff- If you’re good then god bless you! If you’re bad… get better!
It's all good, take care, peace be with you.
Mike

I'm baffled as to how increasing the pixel count after the photo is taken can add detail. I would think that all it could do is clone the detail that's already there. Yet, pmu says he tried it with Topaz Gigapixel, and he reports an improvement in sharpness and detail. Does anyone have a simple explanation?

Topaz Gigapixel. I'll have to remember that. Maybe I need it for my M9?

I'm baffled as to how increasing the pixel count after the photo is taken can add detail. I would think that all it could do is clone the detail that's already there. Yet, pmu says he tried it with Topaz Gigapixel, and he reports an improvement in sharpness and detail. Does anyone have a simple explanation?

I would guess the correct answer is witchcraft.

Here are crops of 400% enlargement before and after the gigapixel.

I'm sure it really does not add any details, but keeps all of it while enlarging. Or maybe it does, is it the AI doing the magic?

Attachments

• IMG-20220206-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20220206-WA0005.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20220206-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20220206-WA0002.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20220206-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20220206-WA0003.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20220206-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20220206-WA0004.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 0
Why don't you like the GFX anymore? Are you sure the M is for you?

I have wanted digital M since M8 came out. M series are my all time favorite cameras. Fuji is great camera, just very different to Leicas.

I forgot to tell that I am planning to get rid of the Fuji and replace it with the M10. I use M film cameras and I want that same experience with digital. Also, I find it better to have less options. The simplier setup the better.

I think what he means is that Topaz better preserves the detail and sharpness that would otherwise be lost when uprezzing without it.

John

Reactions: pmu
I use M film cameras and I want that same experience with digital. Also, I find it better to have less options. The simplier setup the better.

Here's a tip. If you find yourself shooting with a non-Leica digital camera, don't press the menu button. All the default menu settings are fine. That is what Leica does. Leica chooses the menu settings for you, and then thoughtfully doesn't include them in the menu so you don't know what you are missing and can't get confused.

I think what he means is that Topaz better preserves the detail and sharpness that would otherwise be lost when uprezzing without it.

Topaz Gigapixel doesn't really "preserve the detail and sharpness". Sure, it uses what you've got, but when you make a large print, it guesses what would have been there if you had used a higher resolution sensor, and adds it in. From what I have seen, it does a pretty good job of guessing. Must be the AI.

Here's a tip. If you find yourself shooting with a non-Leica digital camera, don't press the menu button. All the default menu settings are fine. That is what Leica does. Leica chooses the menu settings for you, and then doesn't include them in menu.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean with this. I will most definitely adjust everything to my liking, from the menu. Same like with every other camera before.

Back