Canada Downtown Camera-New source of E-6 processing in Toronto

rbsinto

Well-known
Local time
3:44 AM
After doing my E-6 processing for about 30 years, I was told by Black's that they were closing down, and their out-sourced processor was similarly ceasing to develop slide film.
However, I discovered that Downtown Camera here in Toronto (416-363-1749, www.downtowncamera.com) in an effort to keep Film alive has just entered into an agreement with a Montreal processor to continue doing E-6 work.
I've received one roll from them and the quality is excellent.
I have no affiliation with Downtown (other than as a long-time customer) but want to get this information out to as many people as possible because as a film-only shooter who has no desire to go Digital it is in my selfish best interests to see this service flourish and continue.

Good to hear. I was on their site the other day looking at processing options.
Thanks for posting this.

It was a sad day for me when I learned DT camera no longer would do E-6 processing. That was about a year ago. I was told they they were looking for a partner to do processing for them. They initially re-directed people to e6it.ca until they probably got overloaded and closed down. My only way to process the slide film was to go to Montreal and do my processing with Borealis. They usually get it done within 2-3hours on weekdays. The most expensive development ever (considering commute costs and accommodations in Montreal).

I got back 7 rolls on Saturday I shot while on holidays, and the quality of the processing was excellent.
My slide processing concerns have been put to bed, and I'm once again a happy camper.

It was a sad day for me when I learned DT camera no longer would do E-6 processing. That was about a year ago. I was told they they were looking for a partner to do processing for them. They initially re-directed people to e6it.ca until they probably got overloaded and closed down. My only way to process the slide film was to go to Montreal and do my processing with Borealis. They usually get it done within 2-3hours on weekdays. The most expensive development ever (considering commute costs and accommodations in Montreal).

I'm pretty sure Camtec does mail order development now

I couldn't find pricing for it on DT site. Only C-41 with too optimistic pricing.

I couldn't find pricing for it on DT site. Only C-41 with too optimistic pricing.

As far as I know they haven't posted the information on their website yet, but you can call them to find out.
As for "optimisitic" pricing, if you're not happy with what they charge, either develop it yourself, or find someone else whose prices are more pessimistic.
And good luck to you.
I'm just happy I don't have to buy Digital equipment and can keep on shooting E-6.

As far as I know they haven't posted the information on their website yet, but you can call them to find out.
As for "optimisitic" pricing, if you're not happy with what they charge, either develop it yourself, or find someone else whose prices are more pessimistic.
And good luck to you.
I'm just happy I don't have to buy Digital equipment and can keep on shooting E-6.

Hold you horses...
I just expressed my concerns what I can't find pricing and those for C-41 might be outdated.

haha yeah. edited my post before seeing your reply. had b/w film processed there and very happy. next time I'm in town, will drop off some E6 and see how that goes.

They currently develop all of my B&W work. I tried their E6 developing a couple of weeks ago with some 120 Velvia 50, with good results.

For those wondering, Downtown camera quoted me $20 to send it to Montreal for E6. Includes development and scan for 35mm or 120. I think mounting was an additional $1 per slide.

Thanks for posting this. I like Downtown Camera a lot. If Ferrania ever ships their film I'll happily have DT send it out for me. :)

Back