Dumb question about center filter

MP Guy

Just another face in the crowd
Staff member
Local time
1:52 AM
With the center filter being used to compensate for fall out at the edges of the pano shots, does this mean you dont need it in normal mode?

You could try it both ways and see what you prefer... But I'd think the corner darkening would be minimal at the narrower frame size.

Sorry about this unhelpful post- never tried it!
But Doug should be right; since the XPan lenses have wider circle of coverage to accomodate the panroamic format- they are essentially MF lenses- when used for just the 35mm frame the corners shouldn't figure.

First chance I get I'll try & maybe a more helpful post will follow. Monsoon season in Malaysia just begun- long periods of drenching rain, poor light.

Jorge,

In theory you don't need the ND-CF in normal 36x24 mode the lens coverage is quite fine. But it's when you switch onto pano mode, that's when the lens design falls over and chokes.

Also forgive me if I'm wrong (I only was researching and thinking buying a XPAN last year), but the ND-CF filter is only really required for the 45mm lens.

But also try Doug's idea and try both. I have an old 150mm 5x7 lens I badger into use on my 8x10 with the add of a rear lens-mounted ND-CF filter.

Personally I've seen some nice B&W enlargments shot on a XPAN without the ND-CF, the dark edges on mono prints really draw you into the picture. However the photographer in question also pointed out to me that on colour prints it looks "yuck". Each to their own I guess.

Stu :)

PS. 150mm lens on 8x10 is similar to 21mm on 35mm.

Back