Canada Dumb questions about film in Canada

navilluspm

Well-known
Local time
4:30 PM
Hello all!

I am contemplating a move to Regina this year. A friend of mine visiting me from Calgary told me that it is hard to find film and get it developed in Canada. I know that there are a lot of Canadians on this board, and, unlike my friend, most of you shoot film. So here are my questions

1. Where are the best places to get BW film in Canada (bulk rolls of PanF+. HP5+, and Tri-X)?

2. Is Rodinal readily available up there?

3. Are there any big retail chains (like Walgreens or Walmart in the US) where you can get C-41 film developed relatively cheaply?

4. Is it relatively easy to find a place to develop slide film in a city like Regina?

Thanks again for the information.

Michael

Where I live, London Drugs does a nice job of 1 hour developing of C-41 and carries HP5, TRI-X, and TMAX. They'll get those and slidefilm developed but it's pricey and slow. We have Wllmart and Costco big box stores too. Those are the only questions I can answer...

Rodinal is available at Henry's.com. It sells for $15.99. Shipping on that will cost you $22.50. Henry's.com seems to have a good chemical inventory. As for film, I don't think they're cheap. I'm contemplating a film order from a US supplier (e.g., Adorama) soon, large enough to make the per item shipping costs bearable.

Shoppers' Drug Mart does really cheap C41 processing, including the scan to disc. Be prepared for scratched negatives, however.

Thanks, Sirius.

Do you know if there are there any online Canadian film resources too (like Photowarehouse in the US) for inexpensive or close dated film?

Canada's a big place... it depends a lot on whether the particular city happens to have a good shop in it.

I live in Toronto now, and it has everything you could conceivably need. I can get all the Kodak, Ilford, Bergger, or Forte film I want, in whatever format. Rodinal is no problem, either. Vancouver (my old home) is better supplied than Toronto, and Montreal's fine too. I highly doubt there would be any problem in Calgary... it sounds like the talk of someone who wants to justify the switch to digital. No idea about Regina. But you can always mail-order stuff from Henry's in Toronto which, though not the best photo shop in Canada, is big enough to be stocked most of the time.

Thanks Darren and Pingle. I figured that my friend didn't look too hard in Calgary. I can't imagine a city that size not having film resources. But it is always better to ask than assume.

Is there anyone from Regina who knows of some good local suppiers of Chemicals for developing and printing. (Shipping seems really steep on that Rodinal).

Get in touch with Rob from bigcameraworkshops.com. Good selection of Ilford films and his prices seem pretty good.

Sounds like your friend didn't bother checking his resources before giving you inaccurate information.

1. Here in Calgary, two of the major stores are The Camera Store (my personal fav) and Vistek. And yes, they both carry bulk rolls of your mentioned films. If they're out of stock, they'll order it for you (or atleast TCS will). Both these places sell outdated film, though selections are slim pickin's most of the time. Nova Photo has a smaller selection, but do carry some stuff.

2. I wouldn't say "readily", but it is available.

3. London drugs, I'm pretty sure Costco and Walmart, Japan Camera (though I wouldn't recommend it), and if you're in Calgary, Vistek and Nova.

4. Can't comment.

I'd also recommend Rob at bigcameraworkshops.com. Swell guy to deal with!

Last time I was in Regina, this spring, I found a Don's Photo LTD store that could likely handle side film processing for you and may have an inventory of B&W film also. There are also Costco, Walmart, and Superstore outlets too. If there is a Shopper's Drug Mart in Regina they may only charge about $3.50 to develop and scan to CD. Getting C41 film is getting harder all the time as even the big outlets have cut back on inventory but it is still fairly readily available. You may be better off ordering over the net. Do not believe what your friend had to say.

Bo

Thanks to everyone who replied. The C-41 developing prices seem very reasonable (The Shoppers Drug option looks like a great deal)!

Best place to get film in Canada is at Bob's house... you take that one road we've got up here... all roads lead to Bob's house... and Bob also sells kayaks and kindling. :D

Vancouver BC is well stocked for most film needs if you live in the city itself. But I find it still less costly to purchase film from online suppliers. The convenience is another reason. That being said, I think it is hard to find Rodinal locally.

somecanuckchick said:
Best place to get film in Canada is at Bob's house... you take that one road we've got up here... all roads lead to Bob's house... and Bob also sells kayaks and kindling. :D

Bob's house. I think I've heard about that place.

Well, the move to Regina is definite. I can't wait to see all the beautiful mountains surrounding the city. I heard that southern Saskatchewan is famous for its lush forests and high mountains. :)

I order my bulk tri-x and hp5+ from photoco in Quebec - no hassles so far and the service has been great. Photoco has the cheapest prices I've seen for the above films here in Canada (when i was looking earlier this year anyways).
For C41 processing - costco, superstore, walmart probably will be the cheapest. I've had good luck with the local superstore here in my neck of the woods so I've pretty much stuck with them so far.
cheers

oh wow, good call on Photoco! I didn't know about them. I may have to make an order. Even with shipping, I save almost $60 if I get 20 rolls of HP5 in 35mm and 120 each.

I looked at Photoco's website, and they seem to have good prices. Thanks for the heads up. I am definitely going to bookmark them for when I get up there in April. Chemicals don't seem to be too expensive either.

Derrick,
Yep... give them a try. I love to support the local camera shops, but when I can save 35% off of bulk Hp5, it doesn't get too difficult to twist my arm! The only thing I'd say about photoco is that on occasion they may not have the item in stock... but this just means that the wait is extended a little.
BTW, when placing an order, I always follow up with an email - just to make sure they receive the order.
Cheers.
j - Rich's cuzin.

Navilluspm,
No problem & cheers.

Last edited:
navilluspm said:
Bob's house. I think I've heard about that place.

Well, the move to Regina is definite. I can't wait to see all the beautiful mountains surrounding the city. I heard that southern Saskatchewan is famous for its lush forests and high mountains. :)

yes, Saskatchewan is where it's at - not. :p

at least you're located right smack in the middle... to make treks east and west. :D

Back