Dumb Viewfinder Symbology Question

HamSammich

Local time
7:43 PM
New XPro 2 user and loving it. Haven't had so much fun since my old Retina IIIC. Just one thing, and it's not explained in the manual or anywhere I could find:

What's the small, white, broken rectangle indicate?

I know the small solid, white rectangle is the uncorrected focus patch. And I presume the small, solid, green rectangle, when the shutter is half-pressed, is the actual focus point. Which leaves the small broken one--which leaves me clueless.

Thanks for your patience.

Best,

marshall

IIRC The rectangles should indicate infinity focus, and minimum focus, with the green one being actual focus

Excuse my brevity I'm killing time at an Airport, if you don't get a better answer later I'll check properly for you

I didn't see an explanation in the manual, but I found this explanation on another forum:

"... the broken frame is located in a position that corresponds to maximum parallax in normal focusing mode (not in macro mode, corresponding to a distance of ~ 0.8m / 2.6ft)."

The camera will actually focus closer than the near position indicated by the broken frame, but you are likely then in some "macro mode" and beyond the camera's ability to "correct" for parallax. Best to use the EVF for near distance subjects anyway because the lower perspective of the lens can lead to significant compositional surprises.

I didn't see an explanation in the manual, but I found this explanation on another forum:

"... the broken frame is located in a position that corresponds to maximum parallax in normal focusing mode (not in macro mode, corresponding to a distance of ~ 0.8m / 2.6ft)."

The camera will actually focus closer than the near position indicated by the broken frame, but you are likely then in some "macro mode" and beyond the camera's ability to "correct" for parallax. Best to use the EVF for near distance subjects anyway because the lower perspective of the lens can lead to significant compositional surprises.

+1

here are a bunch of characters

Back