Durst M670

kangarouge

Local time
11:12 PM
Can anyone please inform me if the above enlarger needs two different condensers if I intend to print both 35mm and 6X6?
The enlarger that is on offer has two different lenses, two appropriate negative carriers but only 1 condenser, so I am a little concerned.

As far as I remember it from experience, it needs a least different mixing boxes if it is a colour model and different condensers if it is a B/W model. Having say, the 6x6 or the 6x7 kit could possibly work okay-ish (enlarger head needs to sit higher up, comparatively) with both medium or 35 mm but if it is only equipped for 35 mm you are up the creek with no paddle. Ask a bunch of questions, and walk away from anything rusty, mouldy or incomplete for your needs.

Here is the manual:

http://www.darkroomdave.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/durst-m670bw-m670color-operating-manual.pdf

Make sure the enlarger has the appropriate lens boards for different film formats because Durst enlargers are very dependent on a plethora of expensive boards with odd sounding names like VEGATUB, SIROPLA, you name it.

Durst condenser

Durst condenser

"Can anyone please inform me if the above enlarger needs two different condensers if I intend to print both 35mm and 6X6?
The enlarger that is on offer has two different lenses, two appropriate negative carriers but only 1 condenser, so I am a little concerned."

The short answer is yes. When set up to do either 35mm or 6x6 cm, the Durst M670 (assuming the B&W version here) takes different condensers and film carrier inserts. If you have the lenses and film carriers for both formats, but only one condenser, it may be the condenser for the 6x6 format. You can use the medium format condenser for 35mm enlarging. but the brightness of the light output will be reduced. If you have two lenses, make sure that they each have a lens board, or that they use the same threaded lens board. Finding the many accessories and conversion parts for Durst enlargers smaller than 4x5 is getting pretty hard, as ebay is the primary resource.

Randy has described the situation more clearly. I was a bit too tired when answering.

I now remember (even if it was a good few years back when stuff was more available in various venues and easier to find) that finding a complete 6x7 conversion set wasn't all that easy.

If you cannot get relevant condensers there is a "kind" of cure..
Fit thin opal glass so that now diffusion light!
It is not that far off in contrast and sharpness..
It will minimize scratches, flaws and contrast..
Other way, look for a more complete Durst..
Also write to Durst (Bologna) Italy..
the company is vastly changed and address is different..

Last edited:
Many thanks to everyone for all quick responses and the helpful information.
This is my first post on the forum and I have been heartily pleased.

I will now do some more research but at least I now know a little more about what I am looking for. For this I am very grateful.

Back