Dust on M246 sensor

retina777

Local time
3:58 AM
Have 2 stubborn spots on the sensor which won't move with the rocket blower. Has anyone tried the Arctic butterfly or sensor swab cleaning?
Thanks

This sensor is not different from any other sensor so it can be cleaned your favorite way.

As Leica has no sensor cleaning inside the camera you have to clean it more often compared to other cameras that have sensor cleaning. With more I mean a ratio of 4 or even 6 to 1 per year. Enough ranting that Leica still refused to offer this helpful feature.

I use sensor swabs and eclipse fluid for many years now on all cameras. It works and is not a big deal. Never tried any other method so I can't compare.

The eclipse fluid cleaning method is effective but my Leica dealer confirmed that they do not support wet cleaning, their rationale is that whatever means involving touching the sensor cover plate might result in marks and scratches.
The method I use on cameras other than Leica's is :
step 1- rocket blower
step 2- vacuum clean
step 3 - wet cleaning
I do not do the Step 3 on Leica's for the reason above, and so far step 1 + step 2 have been largely good enough.

Infrequent, stubborn small spots are typically caused by small amounts of dried oil and dust. The oil typically comes from excess shutter lubricant and after evaporation the residue is sticky. This is common to some degree with many digital brands. I have never heard of M246 shutter oil splatter.

Occasionally water drops can dry with a similar result. The thing is - water drops have to come from an external source and I presume condensation would be the most common. In the case of dried water-dust spots, regular sensor air cleaning will minimize dust and debris accumulation.

Wet cleaning always presents some risk. I am a thick-fingered dolt and once I wet cleaned a D700 sensor which resulted in smeared oil/grease swirls all over the cover glass. I was fortunate to have a local camera shop with techs who carefully clean sensors. They fixed my botched cleaning job and the sensor was not scratched.

Thereafter I limited my cleaning to regular use of a Giottos - Rocket Air Duster. I took my cameras to the shop twice a year or when I noticed a dried, spot. I suggest you avoid less expensive air blowers. The rubber in some of these hardens over time and can deposit rubber debris on the sensor. Even with the Giottos I pimped air around half a dozen times before I cleaned the sensor.

Unlike me, many people are perfectly capable of properly wet cleaning their own sensor. Sensor cover glasses are not that easy to scratch (unless you are clumsy as I am).

Back