Dwaynes Caution

ray*j*gun

Mentor
Local time
10:26 AM
I have used Dwaynes for years but I must report the latest experience. I sent them 4 rolls of film, nothing special at all. They had the film over a month and when I finally got the negs back, the 35mm strips were bent and creased. So poorly packaged that they were bent when put into the envelope. I now need to find a resource here in West Chester PA. Any suggestions for color film processing would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I called them 4 times to find out what was keeping my film but I have not called about the damage to the negs. I also had water stains that I didn't mention in my first post. Of course, as I said I had used them for years which is why I felt the need to send a caution post. When I get time, I'll call about the condition of the negs but again OVER A MONTH WAIT.

Just be aware that things may be different for whatever reason.

I use Fulltone Photo in Kentucky for all my film developing and scanning. I sent them three rolls of film (black-and-white) last Thursday and had the scans before the close of business on Monday. I have not received my negatives back yet but the scans look clean and free of dust and scratches. Fulltone is also much less expensive than Dwaynes.

So far Dwayne's has been consistently good with E6 slides (135 or 120). I did 120 C41 a few months back, and there were minor scratches. Overall, I think they have good service at very reasonable price.

I got 4 rolls of 36 exposure Portra 400 back from Dwaynes in the mail today. Negatives are in excellent condition, and scans look really good. I have not used Dwaynes for three years because I have not shot any film, but am happy with the results. It took a month to receive the developed film and DVDs. I rarely use film any more, the cost is getting high at $14 for a roll of 36 Portra and $6 to develop.

I use Fulltone Photo in Kentucky for all my film developing and scanning. I sent them three rolls of film (black-and-white) last Thursday and had the scans before the close of business on Monday. I have not received my negatives back yet but the scans look clean and free of dust and scratches. Fulltone is also much less expensive than Dwaynes.
Wow, $4.50 for 120 with no scanning or printing... I can live with that.

I think every lab has some quality control issues at times. I have occasionally received either negatives or slides from both Dwayne's and The Darkroom with scratches, dust, etc. What I don't understand is how they often manage to damage the some of the best or most interesting frames on a roll?

Back