DX Nikkors and Sony NEX

jarski

Mentor
Local time
7:54 AM
sounds like a perfect match ?

comments if AF has any chances of working with these adapters ? Alpha mount lenses (and NEX) works already IIRC.

Not even Alpha lenses will AF, IIRC. I highly doubt Nikkors will

All DX lenses are G-type, they lack aperture rings. How would you stop down (or rather open up, they're at their smallest when unmounted)

-g.

some DX lenses are probably bit bulky in current smallish NEX bodies. wonder how big is rumored prosumer model compared e.g. to D40... anyway, interesting times :)

there's an adapter for g lenses and canon EOS, so it can be done. People do it for the 14-24.

Granted, but that adapter is the work of one guy, working his ass off. He hangs out on FredMiranda.com. As far as I know, there's no commercial vendor making adapters for G-type Nikkor lenses.

Then there's the question about which lenses should be desirable. Apart from the 35/1.8, no DX Nikkors are that unique...

Then there's the question about which lenses should be desirable. Apart from the 35/1.8, no DX Nikkors are that unique...

well if DX lenses would work as in Nikon body, it would offer many new alternatives for currently limited NEX system. "unique" is very subjective after all. also, check some of DX-lens prices, those are far from el-cheapo-kit-lens category.

and if some pioneer has already managed to make the connection (NEX & G-Lens), it proves that concept works, and plan to productize an adapter can be made with better time ? :rolleyes:

Not even Alpha lenses will AF, IIRC.

I believe that this needs to be placed in context.

Alpha A-Mount (current DSLR mount) as two type of lenses.
One type, screw type, use the camera in body motor for focusing the lens and these will be manual focus.
The other type, SSM/SAM, use the lens motor for focusing and these could be focused by the NEX camera.

The preproduction NEX cameras did focus with Alpha lenses that have SSM/SAM, but some issues have shown up, slow focus from what was reported, so Sony disabled it on the production bodies by means of firmware.
Sony rep told in an interview that this could be enabled again after they solve the issue.

Hope it helps to clarify some question.

some DX lenses are probably bit bulky in current smallish NEX bodies. wonder how big is rumored prosumer model compared e.g. to D40... anyway, interesting times :)

I think most every slr lens is going to look bulky on those bodies. They bodies are just so tiny!

Vitor: I was surprised to see that Alpha-mount lenses wouldn't AF, I knew about the screwdrive/SSM divide (just like Nikkors!) and I thought that the SSM lenses should have been able to AF. Sony did a crap job of explaining the issue though, now the meme has taken root that no lenses will AF....

Any Nikkor DX adapter will then have to translate the signals from the camera and from the lens to fool them both that the other is compatible. Doable? Maybe. The power requirements need to be synced too...

Back