Dyatlov Pass Cameras, and Photographic Mysteries...

Mos6502

Well-known
Local time
9:24 AM
One of the most famous unsolved mysteries of the USSR. Several hikers died while camping on a mountain in 1959, the cause of their deaths is still unknown, and the clues and facts that are known still baffle both historical researchers and conspiracy theorists to this day. However, one thing I had not heard about this tragedy until today was that several cameras (Zorkis and Feds) were recovered along with the bodies, and the film in these cameras was developed. The images revealed nothing of use in determining the cause of death of the hikers. Although one image is said, by some, to show a yeti emerging from the forest, and does indeed show somebody (or something) peering out from behind a tree, there is another image, known as frame №34, which the more imaginative among us have suggested shows UFOs, or even demons, descending upon the ill fated campers.

When you see it, you will know what it is if you've ever had a collapsible Industar mounted on your camera, and had the misfortune of forgetting to pull it out before taking a picture.

Krivonischenko-camera-film1-34.jpg

All of the images of the roll from which the above was taken may be seen online here: Krivonischenko's camera

Does anybody want to tell them the mystery of frame 34 is solved?

One of the most famous unsolved mysteries of the USSR. Several hikers died while camping on a mountain in 1959, the cause of their deaths is still unknown, and the clues and facts that are known still baffle both historical researchers and conspiracy theorists to this day. However, one thing I had not heard about this tragedy until today was that several cameras (Zorkis and Feds) were recovered along with the bodies, and the film in these cameras was developed. The images revealed nothing of use in determining the cause of death of the hikers. Although one image is said, by some, to show a yeti emerging from the forest, and does indeed show somebody (or something) peering out from behind a tree, there is another image, known as frame №34, which the more imaginative among us have suggested shows UFOs, or even demons, descending upon the ill fated campers.

When you see it, you will know what it is if you've ever had a collapsible Industar mounted on your camera, and had the misfortune of forgetting to pull it out before taking a picture.

Krivonischenko-camera-film1-34.jpg

All of the images of the roll from which the above was taken may be seen online here: Krivonischenko's camera

Does anybody want to tell them the mystery of frame 34 is solved?
The site says that shot was taken in the lab after the camera was recovered. The camera was found with the shutter cocked.

Yes, that's the most logical explanation, but some choose not to believe because they cannot make sense of the photo. When it's understood that this is the effect of the lens being pushed in, the blurriness has a perfectly plain explanation. The "lights" may simply have been a window in the back of the room, judging by the pattern.

Yes. Youtube rec'd that video to me. When I saw the "mysterious" picture I knew exactly what it was. The "boke" even shows off the eight bladed aperture of an Industar 22.

Thanks for sharing this story, I never heard of it before. I especially like your observation with the eight bladed aperture of the Industar 22 😁

Back