Eagerly awaiting waiting my R-d1(s)

TRGRichie

Local time
6:00 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to rangefinder cameras and new to the forum, I am (probably) like most? coming to this form of photography from a SLR background, I'm a professional photographer and art director by trade....but for some reason the Epson R-d1 caught my eye and I can't wait for it to arrive, at present due to limited funds I'll be shooting with a Jupiter 8, too be fair I love super sharp glass but there is also an appeal to old lesser quality lenses, For example I love my refurbished Helios 44 with custom fixed oval aperture, shame it's m42 (should I get an adapter and scale focus?).

I'm a big fan of post production, this might not be to everyone's liking? And personally consider this part of photography nearly as important as the taking of the actual photograph.

Anyway, if you guys have any advice for a first time rangefinder user and recommendations for future lenses - budget for the moment.

Cheers Richie.

I'd love an R-D1 put am saving for a Leica M9. If I get my payrise though...

Welcome to the forum. Post up some of your work :)

You will love your R-D1, Ritchie. It is fun with a capital F but can also produce some serious work.

If you are adept at post processing, be sure to shoot in raw+jpeg mode. Use Epson PhotoRAW along with Photoshop and Camera Raw. Try and get a copy of NIK Color Efex and Silver Efex. You can spend many enjoyable hours with this combination tweaking and adjusting, trying new ideas to get just the right look that you desire.

As to lenses....I have all Leica lenses from the early sixties in most focal lengths. If they were stolen or lost I think I would be hard pressed to go past the Cosina Voigtlander lenses as replacements. Used ones are fantastic value for money.

I would suggest you try a 28 to use with your jupiter for starters as the R-D1 has the framelines and see where you would like to go from there as funds permit. My favourites have been 21 and 35, plenty of samples in my rff gallery.

6mp may not sound like much but I produce beautifully sharp prints up to A4 size without any problems. A3+ is a little more work but doesn't faze me, I do print 60"+ large format for a living, so I know how to enlarge and setup a file.

Good luck and post some images in the RFf Gallery.

The Epson R-D1, s and x outshine many other cameras. I am using mine with a wide array of lenses but always come back to the Cosina Voigtlander lenses. Try the new 4.5/15 Super Wide Heliar and also the 21, 25, 35 and 40. Have fun!

I had one. When it was working in top order it was a decently fun camera to keep around. I sold it to get something black paint though. I thought id regret it but at this point I don't necessarily miss the camera. Perhaps I never had enough time to connect with the camera. But it likely wouldn't have happened anyways as I prefer film over digital anyways.

Back