Early Akarette camera

wes loder

Photographer/Historian
Local time
11:57 PM
I have a new addition to my blog on old cameras. This one is on a really early Akarette. Take a look and let me know what you think. <http://wesloderandnikon.blogspot.com/2022/07/akarette-1-from-1947.html>

Attachments

• photo117158.jpg
    photo117158.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 7
I enjoyed looking at your notes on the AKAs as well as the Prominent piece. The german journal Photo-deal number IV 2018 has an article on the AKAs which may be of interest. As for the old Prominent compurs, mine does open but not fully, so I expect the oil has dried out. Luckily it is totally distint from the glass, so I can try the normally very unsafe and temporary method of a drop of penertarting oil. Anyone tempted to aquire a prominent with the nokton 1,4 should look closely at separation signs at the edges, mine is OK,but I expect that high temperatures and rapid temperature variations should be avoided. The Ultrons i have seen of this vintage have not suffered.

p.

Great write up Wes. I have never thought to look under the exposure chart on the back of the camera to find the serial number. I’ve got three black akarettes, numbers 294, 566 and 994. The earliest one also counts up to frame 40 and it’s got a accessory shoe while the two later ones don’t.

Nathan

The earliest one also counts up to frame 40 and it's got a accessory shoe while the two later ones don't.

Nathan
That is interesting. The early one (#932) that Cees-Jan de Hoog features on his web page also has an accessory shoe. It appears to be a random thing. I thought maybe the shoe became standard later, but maybe it was an optional add-on. Thanks, WES

I have updated my entry on the very early Akarette I with several pictures taken with the camera and its original lens. Took a trip to Scotland to get it fixed and the lens cleaned, but everything works. Nice, bright finder, lens is clear and if I can master the exposures, an easy camera to work with. I do like the compact size and interchangeable lenses. <Akarette 1 from 1947>
As always, your comments and thoughts are appreciated.

Nice, Wes. I know nothing about these, so this is a welcome and helpful writeup. Schneider lenses -- top shelf. (I'm chuckling about the cameras having initially been made in a hotel room --! How did the other guests like that' I wonder?)

Back