Early Russian Lenses, What Features to look for.

The pictures are of a legitimate ZK F2- but the seller's description of it is totally wrong. Hard to know which you will get- a legit 5cm F2 ZK, or a lens that is not shown. At $600- the description needs to fit the pictures.
Hey, if the seller sent a different lens insteada the ZK f 2, at least eBay would be forced to make restitution of payment.

Is this a price at which these generally trade or have traded?
I can only speak to eBay sales, but those rarely appear for sale, so kinda hard to say whether the price is representative or not. I guess it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it ;)

If you realy want a ZK 5cm f2 I would recomment this one. It is a 1949 one though. But it is sitting at the shelf for some weeks now and nobody seem to be interested. I ordered a couple of Sonnars over fromjapan.co.jp and am pretty happy with the service so far. Ok, I did not needed to send anything back... But at least you get a more reasonable price. I got my 1949 ZK 5cm f2 for 250 Euro from a very nice french collector. So spending 600 bugs for this Ebay offer is not up to my liking.

Took apart a 1951 J-3 in LTM to clean and re-lubricate the aperture mechanism. This lens had numbers in three places scribed into both the aperture mechanism and the rear lens fixture. I have not seen a lens with this many markings on the insides. The aperture ring moves smoothly now, had lots of solidified grease. Still need to use Sonnar Brian's one meter, wide-open test to shim the lens, but will leave that for another day.

Last edited:
Back