Easiest way to restore filter threads on a lens?

Tim Murphy

Well-known
Local time
4:19 PM
Dear Board,

I dropped a 50mm f1.7 Rokkor and dented the filter ring. I didn't damage the internal threads; I just knocked the filer ring out of round. On the plus side, a 52mm center pinch lens cap still fits fine as long as I pay attention to the location of the dent.

I've tried gently and carefully threading a 52mm filter onto the lens. It goes about 2 or 3 turns and then I meet resistance. So, I back it out and try again. Several attempts have improved things, and I haven't ruined the filter, yet. I've dusted the threads and managed to thread it onto other 52mm lenses I own, but I'm thinking if I keep things up something will soon be broken.

Is there an easier way? If I still had my McDonnell Douglas F-4 cannon plug pliers I'm sure I could gently scrunch the filter ring back into shape, but alas, that is no longer an option.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

There are tools made specifically to do this repair, quickly and safely. Virtually every repair shop has one, and they should be able to fix your lens on the spot.

Yep. I have one of those tools. They work well. There are situations where they just can't help but from what you describe I think it would work perfectly. Can't remember what the tool is called.... but something like filter wrench....but that doesn't seem right. Maybe I can dig mine out and see if it has markings...or just snap a photo

You can search ebay for pig iron. Do not use it on older lenses with a solid filter ring, it can break. The safest way is to make a small wooden dowel and use a small hammer to carefully shape the filter ring. It will take some time, but it is less risky than using one of those tools.

The few times I have attempted to repair lenses where the barrell has been dented and consequently damaged the filter ring, I have emplyed the following technique:
1. Find a suitable piece of wooden plank.
2. Use a drill, file or similar tool and carv out a semicircular shape with the dimensions of the outer side of the lens barrell.
3. Make a suitable wooden tool (5mm x 10mm and as long as a screwdriver).
4. Place the lens on the "bed" on the wooden plank and then very gently try to remove the dent with a hammer and the wooden tool (wooden stick) mentioned above.

The whole idea is to only have wood in contact with the lens barrell and remove the dent by gentle use of force (hammer).

Obviously there will be marks on the lens barrell, but it is a viable solution for inexpensive lenses. I would probably send a lens to a professional technician if it was a rare/valuable lens.

I use one like the above, auction for illustration only.
You have to go slow and easy, trial and error. BUT- I've restored a number of filter rings with it.

I used a Neewer brand vise from Amazon to repair, straighten and remove the dents in one of my lenses recently. There is also a set of Neewer filter wrenches on Amazon that works great in removing stuck filters. They work much better than the little plastic wrenches that never have worked for me.

I tried to link to the products but apparently that is a no-no. Just search Amazon and you will find them. Not cheap but very good.

That lens vise looks interesting. :)

I've only dented a filter mount ring once. Being that it was my favorite Nikkor 20mm lens at the time (35 years ago), I sent it to Nikon where they fixed it with a new part for around $70. I bet that price is way low by modern labor and parts standards...

G

I usually try to prise out a dent A little with wood and then mount an empty two sided filter ring permanently that can mount filters freely.

I used a Neewer brand vise from Amazon to repair, straighten and remove the dents in one of my lenses recently. There is also a set of Neewer filter wrenches on Amazon that works great in removing stuck filters. They work much better than the little plastic wrenches that never have worked for me.

I tried to link to the products but apparently that is a no-no. Just search Amazon and you will find them. Not cheap but very good.

Also on Ebay. My trick to linking to Ebay: select the portion of the URL left of the "?".
The Neewar filters seem to go as low as 48mm.

Neewar brand is the one on Amazon. I fixed my Nikkor 50/1.4 AI after the camera and lens tried to escape and tumbled to the floor. Cracked, dented filter which I thought could be removed with standard Channel Lock pliers. Don't try that. Aluminum filter rings bend fairly easily and I just made the situation worse. The wrenches removed the now-badly-warped filter and the vice cleaned the rings perfectly.

These look the same as those on ebay and the vice looks the same too. Ebay looks a little cheaper but Amazon...2-day shipping...for free...easy returns....

Dear Board,

Thank you for everyone who responded. I still have one of those Neewer filter/lens tools saved in my cart on Amazon.

But I went a different route and bought an SRT-101 with a 58mm f1.4 for the same money. I'm certain both will arrive in horrible condition, but it was a gamble I decided to take.

Smart, I ain't!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

Take it from one who wrecks every piece of photo gear he puts his hands to.

A 50/1.7 Rokkor is a fine lens and well worth saving.

Get a good repair shop to do it for you. It will be $$ well spent, and a valuable life-lesson learned.

The last camera I tried to home-tinker-fix was in the early 1990s. A Rolleiflex TLR. The subsequent repair cost me half again the price I paid for the camera - the good part is I still own it and it works just fine, thanks to a competent repair person who unlike his client, knew what he was doing.

PS This goes for anything electrical in the home as well. As I well know.

Back