Eastern European FSU dealers (Ukraine/Poland/etc) legitimate or not?

For those wanting to acquire an FSU camera and lens the locations to purchase these are obviously the old Soviet block countries. Most options to acquire a FED, Zorki, Kiev and others are Ukraine, Poland and Kazakhstan among others. However, the immediate question that comes to mind is the legitimacy of the dealers in many of these locations/countries. What experience have people had purchase cameras and lenses from many of these dealers? At a high level what did you order? Did it arrive? How long did it take to arrive? Was it per description (better/worse)? Anyone have any specific dealers to check out or avoid? I have had no experience using dealers from these countries nor have I heard any feedback. Thanks all.

LOL

someplace in a FSU country camera forum is a thread asking

"Western FSU buyers (US, EU, UK Ukraine/Poland/etc) legitimate buyers or worthless capitalist scammers?"

Prior to the Russian invasion of Ukraine in April 2022, I had probably bought a dozen KMZ and ZK lenses from eBay sellers in Russia. Yeah, there were a few I would never buy from because the goods were suspect, but the sellers that I bought from were great. Descriptions of products good, decent photos, and prompt shipment.

Last edited:
LOL

someplace in a FSU country camera forum is a thread asking

"Western FSU buyers (US, EU, UK Ukraine/Poland/etc) legitimate buyers or worthless capitalist scammers?"
I've just had a couple of replies to the question I asked for you on ussrphoto.com forum, and Oleg at "OKVintageCamera" is very well thought of. He is now is Slovenia.

Thanks. I did come across his site as well as Fedka.com. Additionally there are several dealers on eBay that I’m considering.

The Industar-26 is a fine performer, Tessar formula lens. The mechanical quality is much better than the later I-61L/D.

Wide-open, on my Leica M9.

If you come across a lightly used I-61L/D, the colors are brilliant.

Also on the M9. I've adapted the I-61L/D for Nikon RF's.

Exif-JPEG-PICTURE.jpg

Using a collapsible mount from a Sonnar.

The Industar-26 is a fine performer, Tessar formula lens. The mechanical quality is much better than the later I-61L/D.

Wide-open, on my Leica M9.

If you come across a lightly used I-61L/D, the colors are brilliant.

Also on the M9. I've adapted the I-61L/D for Nikon RF's.

I did see several cameras that included the 61 L/D; however, to be completely honest due to family cancer history I didn’t want to go with a radioactive lens. I don’t know how radioactive the L/D is compared with the thallium m42 mount lenses, but without knowing more I left that lens out for now; at least until I know more.

Lenses, I have bought two Jupiter 8's from ua_iesh. He is in Ukraine. What he said in his ads was what arrived. The '51 KMZ J8 is good, the '57 KMZ J8 is super. His rating is 100% positive. I can tell you that my experience with this outfit was excellent. and, Slava Ukrana.

This is his eBay page rating: Security Measure

The Thorium used in lenses is an Alpha Emitter, and usually used for inner elements. The exception is the first type Summicron- used on the front element. I keep a filter on mine.

Lanthanum- I've never worried about.

At work, we had a Beckman and Whitley Framing Camera, BIG and Huge optics. Left in a space I was taking over. Used a Geiger Counter and called Safety to look at it. Told me there was more radiation from some of the metals used in it than the glass.

Too Cool- looks like someone took the 1960s vintage model 192 and turned it into a Digital Camera. The original used 35mm film, across the inner drum. A helium turbine spun a mirror expose the film at 2MPFS. When we took over the spot, the model 192 was taken by a group to restore it. The lens is Thoriated.

I did see several cameras that included the 61 L/D; however, to be completely honest due to family cancer history I didn’t want to go with a radioactive lens. I don’t know how radioactive the L/D is compared with the thallium m42 mount lenses, but without knowing more I left that lens out for now; at least until I know more.
You don't need to worry about "radiation" from the I-61 L/D: ACP - Radioactive FED

Personally though, I'd still go with the 26m. The Industar 61 L/D is a bit more contrasty and has a click-stopped aperture ring, but the build quality is awful. There's a lot of play in the housing.

My first ever rangefinder was a FED-2 with a tabbed Industar 26m; I still own both. The grease in the I26m was absolutely solid and it needed a thorough strip-clean and relubricate (not hard to do). I don't use it much these days (it back-focuses on a Leica, and I have no desire to shim it away from the Soviet standard), but I'm still quite fond of it. It's ergonomically pleasing and I think I actually prefer the rendering to the various Jupiters:

Untitled by Tony Gale, on Flickr

(That shot's from 2011. I should go back and rescan some of my negs from back then with something that isn't a bloody potato.)

Here's a more modern shot with the Industar 26m - this one was from February 2023 when I was testing an old Zorki I found buried in a cupboard:

Zorki 1 - Roll 1 - XP2 (17) - FINAL EDIT.jpg

This is wide open at f/2.8 on XP2. It's a solid little lens. Like most Soviet lenses, it does benefit from a hood - it can flare like a bastard without one. Look for a 40.5mm vented hood; there's lots of cheap ones on eBay.

I've bought from Grizzlybear and a few other Ukrainian Ebay sellers over the years without issue.
Recently from Kazakhstan as well. Not that I went after items that were iffy to begin with. Just lens caps and a few Industar/Jupiter lenses.

The 35mm I got from Kazakhstan wasn't in great condition, but it was sold 'for parts/repair' to begin with, just what I needed.

I bought 5 I-26m, ~$25 or so. Made 3 great ones from the 5, and have 2 focus mounts left. This was several years ago. Shimmed all for Leica.
The above picture reminds me how hard the grease was in them.

For the record it’s Slovakia. Makes no difference to EU buyers as both are EU but it’s good to get the right country if you are returning or having repairs 😊

Ah, yes. I was, err wondering when someone was going to spot THAT one. Well done. :sneaky:(y) :LOL:

Last edited:
Back