eBay escapades. The low ball offer

Seems like a good solution.

People in the northern hemisphere have forgotten how to bargain. I suppose that today the majority will only have some bargaining experience when buying a car or a house. Otherwise, all prices are fixed. In many countries in the south, you still have to bargain for almost all items.

To me it is awful experience, never worked for me. Wasting of my time. If people are good for me, they will give decent price. If they treat you like idiot, they start with high price.
The whole culture of buying one mutton all day with tea brakes and negotiators on commission is not my culture.

Remember folks, as a buyer, you're under zero obligations to buy anything on ebay, espeically if it's junk and/or over priced. Let it sit, rot and collect fees. If the seller doesn't make the appropriate changes over time, then they lose money and sales.

I have had to start asking for more than I want for items in hopes of getting what I actually want as a low-ball offer on Kijiji and eBay.

At one time Ebay represented great deals for buyers of rangefinder stuff. That was fifteen - twenty years ago, during the dark days. Now most of the stuff offered is terrible overpriced; more expensive then you would pay at a legitimate store. Occasionally you'll have a sprinkling of folks who just want to get rid of stuff. Low balls offers, I think, are maybe people trying to re-capture the past when ebay was full of good deals.

I get excellent deals on ebay all the time.
My like new Nikon S2 w 50 1.4 that just showed up last week was $317.
Just bought a like new Lomo LC-A 120 for $250. They are $430 in the stores.

No-one is making anyone buy anything. There are plenty of deals out there, and plenty that are not. As in anything in life.

To me it is awful experience, never worked for me.
Maybe, but I suppose that you are familiar with the institution of bartering. A driver once told me that when a truck with wine from Chisinau arrived at its destination in the former USSR, half of the cargo would have been bartered for construction materials; cement; tires; clothing etc...

Remember folks, as a buyer, you're under zero obligations to buy anything on ebay, espeically if it's junk and/or over priced. Let it sit, rot and collect fees. If the seller doesn't make the appropriate changes over time, then they lose money and sales.

Unfortunately not. Nowadays you have to literally try really hard to be charged an insertion fee on eBay.

I get excellent deals on ebay all the time.
My like new Nikon S2 w 50 1.4 that just showed up last week was $317.
Just bought a like new Lomo LC-A 120 for $250. They are $430 in the stores.

No-one is making anyone buy anything. There are plenty of deals out there, and plenty that are not. As in anything in life.

I was thinking more of Leica rangefinder cameras and especially lenses. Nikon stuff has really dropped in price. Limited demand.

eBay is weird. I make most of living buying and selling stuff and I often price things with decent prices as I generally find it cheap enough to pass along for a good price and good profit for me as well. Yet, sometimes things just sit there or I'll see same items sell at higher prices than the stuff I have listed.

If I get a lowball offer through the messaging system, I just ignore it and put them on my blocked bidder list. No need to get worked up over it, for me at least.

I was thinking more of Leica rangefinder cameras and especially lenses. Nikon stuff has really dropped in price. Limited demand.

Not at all. The same Nikon rf gear sells on ebay for over $450 in auctions, not BIN. And has sold for more than $500 on this site. Sp’s are over $1000.
Leica M cameras are going up in price no matter where you look. An M6 a couple o hears ago was about $1k, now minimum $1500.

I always send a message when making offers. I have to say this, about 90% of people making BIN listings are smoking crack when they come up with prices. They literally have less than a clue what they're doing. So I often will bring up recently ended auctions and give the final prices (my offers are usually the exact same amount as the closed auction when I do this). Some people go "oh ok" and accept, or make a reasonable counter offer. Most? They take another hit off the crack pipe.

The only time I've low-balled somebody, without citing a previous auction, and simultaneously making a less than 50% offer on the item, I just explained the issues with the item I was seeing and how much the local shop would probably charge to fix them. Unexpectedly they accepted my offer.

There's a running joke in car collector circles about craigslist listings that contain "No low ballers, I know what I have" because it's almost always somebody asking 400% of market value on something not particularly rare.

...And the fees that eBay charges! How can they charge me a percentage on shipping fees! That's legal?...

Apparently, it is legal. Of course, this was Ebay's response to sellers listing, say, a Nifty Fifty for $10, with $65 shipping.

If you're not accepting offers, then just tell them that. That's what I had to do recently. It's actually against the rules for people to make offers for items that don't have the "make offer" button anyway.

Apparently, it is legal. Of course, this was Ebay's response to sellers listing, say, a Nifty Fifty for $10, with $65 shipping.

Ya, the bigger problem I have selling is the ebay charges that make selling nearly not worth it most of the time.

Maybe it's time for eBay to charge money for listings again. Allowing seemingly infinite free listings seems to mean that many sellers set absurd prices and nothing actually sells. In the old days, listing something at above $100 meant it would cost you $5 to have it up. For a week.

Or maybe eBay could adjust the fee structure so that you don't get jaw-dropping final value fees (these used to be 4%, capped at $100), thereby impelling more sales. It's not like eBay is doing any more work to sell a $50,000 item than a 50-cent one. All of those fees end up priced into items, most frequently, overpriced into items.

D

It's actually against the rules for people to make offers for items that don't have the "make offer" button anyway.

I don't think you are correct about that.

Even if there's no Make Offer button, when you click on Contact Seller,
Make An Offer is an option that is displayed. When clicked on it states:

"How do I make an offer?

The seller hasn't enabled offers for this item. See if they'll consider — send a message with your best price."

I doubt eBay would suggest you violate their rules...

Chris

The challenge is that you cannot block sellers or listings. So, the same crud keeps re-appearing in your searches or triggering alerts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny enough, yesterday I had a lens listed on ebay for 1250$ OBO.
Someone lowballed me to 1100, I countered 1200, then he offered 1150 and I responded back 1180 but again he still offered 1150.
At that point I just declined his offer.
Few minutes later he messaged me back why I declined for 30$.
I responded that I wasnt in a rush to sell and can wait for 1200 or more.

Couple of hours later someone offered me 1200$ and I accepted it

What lovely stupid nonsense. I suppose we must dream what we dream and when we wake we find that what we dreamt is merely prevarication. And that’s the very painful thing of life, the infinite chasm between sultry dreams and sting of wakefulness.

I occasionally get offers from Ebay for reduced final value fees, the latest is FVF's capped at $20. It seems like every time something sells though they still try to charge me the full fee (once they got it right). If you call them though, they really have excellent customer service. They have never not solved my issue. Wouldn't be surprised if one called and asked for a reduced final value fee offer, one might receive it!

Funny enough, yesterday I had a lens listed on ebay for 1250$ OBO.
Someone lowballed me to 1100,

12% less than your listing is low-balling?!

Not saying you were wrong to decline - after all you did sell the item - but 12% less than the offered price is hardly low-balling.

Back