EDC camera?

AlexBG

Well-known
Local time
1:44 PM
Sold a load of bigger cameras, keeping my leica M3 as my main camera and then want a point and shoot style camera to keep with me all the time. Mainly family photos, holidays, days out etc. Not for video.

Not looking for all the features in the world, focus needs to be quite good keeping up with the kids and camera can't be one of the tiny ones. Looking at the Fuji x100f, I have been a fuji shooter mainly but then the cheaper Rx100v looks good but maybe too small? Ricoh too wide but then a Q2 cropped would be fine if it was £600

Thoughts?

iPhone 13 Pro? The screen is finally 1000 nits in standard, non-HDR mode.

That's exactly what I chose as my EDC camera. Very happy with it. I was considering a Ricoh GR III or GR IIIx but wasn't sure I would actually carry it with me all the time after the novelty wore off.

iPhone 13 Pro? The screen is finally 1000 nits in standard, non-HDR mode.

I have a pixel 6 pro. Good camera for a phone but just not the same as having an actual camera. I never take photos with my phone that I edit and love.

LX100 - nice size, zoom, EVF, with the right strap you can use it one-handed, and the built-in timelapse can become addictive. Fits in a hoodie pocket if necessary. I added a Smallrig cage to mine which gives it a nice grip.

Pen-F is my current snapshot, days-out camera, with a 1.8/17mm (you can pull back the focus ring to put it into MF mode with scale on the lens). Flip screen you can fold so the LCD is hidden if you want (nice to protect it, stops tendency to chimp). Good jpegs. Very compact. IBIS.

Second on the Panasonic LX100, u4/3 sensor and a 24-70 lens. I can't offer first hand on quick capture, I've done a couple street shots with it and had no trouble. Easily fits in a jacket or Cargo Pants pocket.

If you wanted the GRIII but the lens is too wide, the GRIIIx is the exact same camera as the GRIII but with a 40mm equivalent ƒ/2.8 lens instead of a 28mm equivalent ƒ/2.8 lens. And while there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Fuji X100F, Fuji has had the newer X100V out for a few years now. They finally retooled the lens and it's been optimized for cross-frame sharpness and close up performance is improved.

The Ricoh GR IIIx has a 40mm equivalent lens, but the screen isn't really bright enough.

I use it in Chile. We have super bright sun and I put the screen on the highest brightness. It works. I turn off and on the camera to take photos instead of letting it go to sleep. I get over 300 shots easily.

We have four and I photographed far more. By FED-2, bunch of R and M, with Canon Pro L AF lenses and Canon super duper dial pixel AF.

Kids and AF is overblown myth.

Back