Eliminating Gun Terminlogy From Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

AusDLK

Famous Photographer
Local time
12:07 PM
>Just go out and SHOOT,

I had a photography teacher that had a real problem with the gun (ie. firearm) terminology that infiltrates photography. He would have said:

Just go out and PHOTOGRAPH

I have thought a lot about this over time and try to follow his lead as best I can when I speak and write about photography.

But it is difficult since these terms have become so engrained in language. Without a doubt, using the multi-syllable word "photograph" as a verb in place of "shoot" is awkward. It takes practice to say that I have x "frames" left on a roll of film rather than x "shots".

It's hard to argue with the similarity of hunting for photographs and hunting for prey. Except in the later case, something -- or someone -- dies.

I personally don't think that this is just another case of political correctness at work but I'm curious how my teacher's philosophy resonates within RFf.

Last edited:
The word 'shoot' doesn't bother me at all. Nor the word 'capture'. In fact one of my fave taglines is by a fantastic bird photographer: 'I shoot birds' :)

Gene

Yeah, I've heard of people who don't like the similarities of the terms, but I don't personally have an issue with it. I'm not a gun owner; don't particularly like them, yet I still shoot photos. Doesn't bother me to phrase it that way.

Perhaps the photography teacher had a personal reason for their distain of mixing the terms...

Aw, shoot. I mean, fudge.

Ask him if he or she gets insulted by the use of the word "professor". A lot of teachers don't proclaim or announce vows of a religious order, and I'm sure some of them would have a big problem with that too.

Well, then again, he or she is professing his or her set of values and forcing them on you... hmm...

I'll go and cook some film. :D

for me, it is a case of different context, different meaning. I do not even associate the two, no more than I would confuse the firing of a weapon and 1.5 oz. of whiskey.

However Gabriel, I am truly offended and appalled at your careless use of the f-word. :)

More politically correct B.S. I tried to post an ad on kijiji for a Nintendo system with 3 “guns” for the duck hunt type games. It’s a Banded word and will not accept it. What B.S. I go out and shoot a roll of film; I don’t go out and photograph a roll. I am one of those nasty gun owners, a hunter and a competitive target shooter. Oh I have also seen up close and personal what they can do when miss used (comes with the job).

There's a great children's book about a man hunting a tiger in the jungle (of India, IIRC). The whole book is really a play on the idea of 'shooting.' The man, we assume, is a hunter. At the end of the story he finds the tiger and pulls out a camera to 'shoot' it.

Don't forget, other than shoot, shooting, and shots, we also 'aim.' :)

I think it's a valid concern, and changing is a worthwhile endeavor. I've wondered about it too, and try to catch myself—here on RFF—mostly because of the international audience. I refuse to be vigilante about it, though. That's far more annoying.

:)

No problem with "shoot" here, either. I am curious how this professor would describe a trigger winder, though.

It's all BS and it's starting to be totally annoying.

Over here, one cannot say Merry christmas no more because the Jews might be shocked. Pathetic!

>I refuse to be vigilante about it, though. That's far more annoying.

And completely pointless.

However, I appreciated my teacher's point of view, share some of his sensibilities, and think that is a topic worthy of thought and awareness.

Lest I be seen as too flip or sarcastic with my previous response, I am honestly curious as to why these terms should be taken as offensive. They've been in use for a long time and are commonly understood.

AusDLK said:
>I refuse to be vigilante about it, though. That's far more annoying.

And completely pointless.

However, I appreciated my teacher's point of view, share some of his sensibilities, and think that is a topic worthy of thought and awareness.

I agree, and I think it has very little to do with political correctness or saying 'Merry Christmas.' It's something to think about. Language is a powerful thing.

I wonder exactly when shooting and shot came into photography. Was Walker Evans 'shootinng in the subway'? Nowadays typing online that you are going to go take pictures of the President, but using 'shoot' instead 'take pictures of' would have me feeling a little paranoid. :D (looks over shoulder).

AusDLK said:
>Just go out and SHOOT,

I had a photography teacher that had a real problem with the gun (ie. firearm) terminology that infiltrates photography. He would have said:

Just go out and PHOTOGRAPH

I have thought a lot about this over time and try to follow his lead as best I can when I speak and write about photography.

But it is difficult since these terms have become so engrained in language. Without a doubt, using the multi-syllable word "photograph" as a verb in place of "shoot" is awkward. It takes practice to say that I have x "frames" left on a roll of film rather than x "shots".

It's hard to argue with the similarity of hunting for photographs and hunting for prey. Except in the later case, something -- or someone -- dies.

I personally don't think that this is just another case of political correctness at work but I'm curious how my teacher's philosophy resonates within RFf.

Sorry, it does not resonate at all with me. I support and encourage responsible personal ownership and use of firearms.

dexdog said:
However Gabriel, I am truly offended and appalled at your careless use of the f-word. :)
There's always fiddlesticks ;)

I hope some people don't get offended when I shoot them an e-mail.

I think that it's stuff like this that trivializes things that are worthy of change. But who is the judge of what is worthy of change? Too many cooking judges ruling on who's supposed to be in the kitchen, and the stew stinks. This is what makes P.C.-ness a joke in many people's eyes.

I'll take this up with a few friends and shoot the breeze. :angel:

I agree. Per Gabriel's post, there are many more important problems out there than photographic terminology. Reminds me of when they renamed our local NBA team from the "Washington Bullets" . . .

David Murphy said:
Sorry, it does not resonate at all with me. I support and encourage responsible personal ownership and use of firearms.

Last edited:
Pretty early on, I would imagine. E.g., IIRC, the term "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.

RayPA said:
I wonder exactly when shooting and shot came into photography. Was Walker Evans 'shootinng in the subway'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back