Leica LTM Elmar/Hektor Black Barrel Database

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
This is a great forum - another thread I only now discovered.

I have this Elmar 9cm which according to its serial number (221734) is from 1934. The aperture scale goes from 4 to 36 and the distance scale is in metres. I have the front (bakelite?) and rear (metal, appears to be painted) caps. I posted about it at LUF because I was wondering about the paint.

I am not sure if the lens is coated - what do you think? It could have been done after the war. I bought it with my Leica II which originally was issued as a Leica I in 1931 but was converted in 1950. In the outfit case were also a Summitar and a 2,8cm Hektor, both from 1950, so it could be that a previous owner had this lens coated when the camera was sent in for upgrade (here's a link to a post about the full outfit).

Included was also a Hektor 13,5cm, black no. 486694, aperture scale 4,5-36 and also with metric distance scale. I haven't photographed the Hektor specifically but will do so and post an image or two. I am quite sure this lens is coated.

A slightly larger image is on my flickr.

8419661199_fe58fb772a_c.jpg

9cm Elmar f4, no. 221734 (1934)

454fornet.jpg

I JUST received this in the mail on Thursday, it's an amazing lens! :D

Leica Leitz Elmar ELANG 9cm f4 "Thin" flat black US Army issue #5964xx (ca. November/December 1945) with original black bakelite caps, FIKUS adjustable lens hood and that pretty and rare *butterscotch colored* lens keeper/container.

The lens is like Mint Minus/EX+++ with *minty* shooting glass, which is really a rare find for a flat black lens of this age/era, most of the time they are always beat up looking when I see them.

I was offered this one which came out of a private collection, I saw the condition and I jumped on it. :)

I put this on my M8 right away and stepped outside to do some "tests" and here's how they turned out, these are pretty much straight out of the camera, with no PS.

37304net.jpg

37314net.jpg

37364net.jpg

37394net.jpg

And some in camera *infrared* with just the darkest red A36 filter Leitz made in 1945, I think it's the Rd filter?

37454net.jpg

Overall a great little performer, I cannot wait till I can shoot some Retro PinUp potraits with this lens sometime. :D

Sorry for the filthy looking photos, my M8 is full of dirt and dust, which never seems to go away, I use blowers and the dirt still stays, I sent it to Leica NJ. twice to be cleaned and it came back dirty, I guess it'll always have spots on photos when it's stopped below f4?

Enjoy the lens!

Tom

I have a nice black 135 Hektor, SN715627, which puts it at 1949 I believe. The scale is calibrated in feet. I had not realized before seeing this one that the black LTM lenses were still made that late.

Cheers,
Dez

I just got a 135 Hektor from Adorama in excellent condition.
Serial #415898 (1937)
f/4.5, 6.3, 9, etc.
meter scale
Despite the serial # it appears to be coated. (?)

9cm Elmar, S/no. 592897, Mtrs, F4,9,18,36, etc., coated. Original red cardboard Elmar 9cm "Elangkup" box.

13.5cm Hektor S/no. 172256, Feet, F4.5,9,18,36, etc., uncoated.

13.5cm Hektor S/no. 325306, Mtr, F4.5,9,18,36, etc., uncoated.

Any explanations on why the 9cm box is labeled "Elangkup" rather than the usual "Elang" would be appreciated.

9cm Elmar, S/no. 592897, Mtrs, F4,9,18,36, etc., coated. Original red cardboard Elmar 9cm "Elangkup" box.

13.5cm Hektor S/no. 172256, Feet, F4.5,9,18,36, etc., uncoated.

13.5cm Hektor S/no. 325306, Mtr, F4.5,9,18,36, etc., uncoated.

Any explanations on why the 9cm box is labeled "Elangkup" rather than the usual "Elang" would be appreciated.

Hi,
According to Jim Lager's book, the "kup" in the codeword denotes rangefinder coupling, which was introduced in 1932. The ELANG referred to the previous model with the standardized mount for the Leica model C. He says that the codeword changed back to ELANG by 1934-35 because all lenses were by then coupled. However, your SN would appear to indicate a later lens (1942 by the usual Leica lens charts). Is the correct SN for that lens also on the box? Perhaps box is not original to that particular lens?

Thanks Martin,
There is no number at all on the box (which I still believe is original, due to the lens's history).
Your dating the lens to 1942 though, prompted my memory. I was once told that during WWll, Leitz were using all kinds of old stock parts to make their products. I suppose it could be that this extended to the containers in which they supplied their lenses.

Newbie! Just picked up a 9cm Elmar #411990 (1937) for a bargain price. The glass looks good but the focus scale is very wonky. The screw on the focus scale between 1.25 and 1.5 mtr is missing, there is some minor play in the focusing ring. Is there a fairly simple way of fixing this.

Mine:

9cm Elmar 457015 (1938) - uncoated
13.5cm Hektor 325554 (1936) - uncoated
13.5cm Hektor 699967 (1949) - coated, sharkskin

Differences between the two Hektors can be seen (aperture markings, distance scales, and serial number location). And of course there is a noticeable weight difference, as well.

zumSTJ4.jpg

fIFbOJi.jpg

yee3UaM.jpg

5LnIeZY.jpg

Elmar 90- #645788 coated
Hektor 135- #558774 uncoated

My black Hektor looks different from most of the black Hektors I've seen. Mine has a brass-colored aperture ring with black fill paint. Most of the black Hektors I've seen are solid black. Does anyone have any information on why mine doesn't have a black aperture ring?

Regarding the Hektor 135, do you see any trace of the serial number on the barrel section below the aperture ring? (see the example in my pictures, post #112. My 1936 lens has the number on both areas). Or inside the barrel, after unscrewing the lens head? Just curious if these sections were originally together, or if they have been pieced together later.
Perhaps the difference is due to the war-time production of the lens, using whatever parts were around to complete the products.
Or, the ring was replaced as part of a repair at some point...

Last edited:
Regarding the Hektor 135, do you see any trace of the serial number on the barrel section below the aperture ring? (see the example in my pictures, post #112. My 1936 lens has the number on both areas). Or inside the barrel, after unscrewing the lens head? Just curious if these sections were originally together, or if they have been pieced together later.
Perhaps the difference is due to the war-time production of the lens, using whatever parts were around to complete the products.
Or, the ring was replaced as part of a repair at some point...

No there's nothing that I can see anywhere else on or inside the barrel that shows a serial number. Someone wrote "135" inside the barrel, but that's it. No Made in Germany engraving anywhere, which leads me to believe this was meant for the Germany govt or military, although I don't see any military engravings. Serial number puts it at 1940, and L-Camera-Forum puts this lens with a batch of lenses that were identified "Luftwaffen." Hmm, this is a very interesting lens...

Back