Epson 7900 clog/cleaning/mods

B-9

Devin Bro
Local time
5:58 PM
I’m heading to pick up a Epson 7900 printer for free this weekend.

Owner says it’s clogged, has tried to flush in printer, has not taken head out to soak or anything like that.

New print heads are a stupendous 1200$
Cleaning solution is 25$
New ink set 200-250$

A friend and I want to attempt to clean this thing up or convert it to black and white only. His ambition is simple party banners he uses a company machine for now but would be convenient it if was around the neighborhood instead.

Me... well I just want to mess with this huge printer!

Any suggestions, tips, or mods we should consider!?

It’s free except for the gas to get it. We don’t mind trying risky solutions!

Or just say we are crazy!

Odds are you are going to waste a lot of time and money and not get it to work again. It's an Epson. You might get lucky though. But it will still cost you a lot of time and money.

If you want to convert it to black and white only, you may not need to clean the clog IF it is only on one channel, or maybe only two. The RIPs used for black and white can bypass that channel. You will have to buy the RIP $$$ and the ink $$$$.

Not sure how you think you can use only $25 worth of cleaning fluid. You'll probably need a liter of it, maybe a gallon by the time you are done. That doesn't cost $25. And where are you getting ink for only $200?

Epson heads don't just pop out like Canon and HP heads. Just warning you.

I had a chance to get a free 9800 a while back. I passed. I didn't think it was worth the grief. In fact over the years I've passed on a few free Epson printers.

I am not saying you shouldn't go get it. At the very least you may get lucky. Even if you don't get it working you will at least get an education.

Good luck.

Hoping to keep the head inside,

RIP software is something I have looked into.

25$ was for a single cart of cleaning fluid. Def would need more.

I found a few ink lots around 200-275$ USD on ebay.

I would say this one has potential as its both working albeit clogged, on the ground floor, and has a fair amount of ink coming with it.

Gonna chat with my buddy later tonight and convey your points. I knew it would be neither cheap or easy. But if its only time and elbow grease + some ink down the road I think its totally worth it for us. If we fail I doubt there will be any broken hearts just a lot of empty beer cans.

Thanks for the insight!

I’m heading to pick up a Epson 7900 printer for free this weekend.

Owner says it’s clogged, has tried to flush in printer, has not taken head out to soak or anything like that.

New print heads are a stupendous 1200$
Cleaning solution is 25$
New ink set 200-250$

A friend and I want to attempt to clean this thing up or convert it to black and white only. His ambition is simple party banners he uses a company machine for now but would be convenient it if was around the neighborhood instead.

Me... well I just want to mess with this huge printer!

Any suggestions, tips, or mods we should consider!?

It’s free except for the gas to get it. We don’t mind trying risky solutions!

Or just say we are crazy!

Devon,

If he is already using refillable carts that saves lots of money. A friend discovered these dye inks available for color printing from Piezography, that are not so lightfast, end up being a good solvent/cleaner to restore a clogged 3880 he bought for no money.

With clogged heads "time is your friend" so just let the solvent work over time.

Also repeated power cleaning without ink flow can overheat a head and damage it.

For more free advice the Piezography website has a forum for ink jet printers.

In my case I bought a gallon of Piezoflush and a set of refillable carts to restore a decade old 7800. My printer was not totally clogged, but needed some TLC and maintenance.

Are you aware that the carts are about 350ml and that I don't think $25.00 for solvent is correct/right. Paid about $550.00 for a set of carts and a gallon of Piezoflush. This is the way to go for B&W.

For color I'd use the dye inks to save money, even if just for storage or cleaning.

As far as durability the 7900 were not known for their long print head life, while the 7800 and 7880 are known to be workhorses with exceptionally long print head life.

I will warn you that a 24 inch printer likes to be used and that using one is not inexpensive. Paper and ink gets really costly. A roll of 24 inch wide costs about $200 or so and you only get about 15 24x36 inch prints. Works out to be about $15.00 in paper alone for a 24x36.

Good thing is roll paper cost less than cut sheets. Running 17 inch rolls will save you about $1.00 a print over 17x22 cut sheet. Figure $5.00 instead of $6.00 per print and saving a dollar per print. The big printers also have better paper handling/transport.

When I run my 7800 I have to top up the carts every few weeks, and to save money I bulk up on 700 bottles that I literally use a small funnel pouring ink.

Cal

Great stuff Cal,

I fear going through the trouble and then seeing it sit unused.

Although, I have found I really enjoy the process.

Might be a bigger investment than we want to bite into.

Plenty of cheap free printers that come available. 7800 you say...

Great stuff Cal,

I fear going through the trouble and then seeing it sit unused.

Although, I have found I really enjoy the process.

Might be a bigger investment than we want to bite into.

Plenty of cheap free printers that come available. 7800 you say...

Devon,

Data mine the Piezography site. The report that they find 3880's dropped off at there doorsteps and they just load with Piezoflush and wait. Eventually the clogs yield. "Time is your friend."

The Chinese also have another expression: "Time is the best weapon."

My research reveals that the most durable printers ever made by Epson are the 7800, 7880, 9800, and 9880's. Also these printers are deemed user servicable for clever guys like you and me. I downloaded the 600 page service manual off the web for free.

Currently I have to change the now 12-14 year old dampers. The service menue tells me I have 4 and 5 stars out of five life left in all the other major assemblies.

Also know that Epson made many of these for a long-long time.

Pretty much like buying an old pickup truck that has no pollution controls.

Cal

Back