Epson R-D1 screen death

Asahizuiko

Local time
7:07 AM
I have just been using my R-D1 and the screen was working one minute and the next it seems to be completely dead. I didn’t drop the camera or anything.

I had the screen flipped in its closed position, then I opened it and found it unresponsive. My only guess is that is has something to do with the connection between the camera and the screen via the hinge. Perhaps it’s just the button that wakes the screen up.

The camera seems to still be functioning otherwise, so it’s still kind of usable, albeit without being able to access or change any of the menu options or check shots.

I know it’s a long shot but does anyone else have experience with this issue? Know a repairer (ideally in the UK)?

This is really heartbreaking as I love this camera.

In my experience with the RD1 the camera is very picky about battery strength.

The screen won’t always come on if the battery isn’t fully charged or if the battery is old. But the camera will continue to take and store images. Try a new fully-charged battery.

In my experience with the RD1 the camera is very picky about battery strength.

The screen won’t always come on if the battery isn’t fully charged or if the battery is old. But the camera will continue to take and store images. Try a new fully-charged battery.
Thanks for your reply. I did try another battery, no luck.

You have reminded me of what my favourite camera repair tech (retired now) told me: the majority of issues with electronic cameras relate to power delivery. Could be dirty contacts (even if they look spotless - clean with a pencil eraser) or the wrong type of battery (say using a lithium battery but the camera prefers a silver oxide). Following this advice has solved problems I’ve had with other cameras.

Perhaps I’ll have another go charging the battery to 100% and maybe cleaning contacts.

Some users have had issues with the screen ribbon breaking.
That would be my pick ... they do eventually fracture apparently. When I had mine I avoided flipping the screen back and forth for that reason. :oops:

That would be my pick ... they do eventually fracture apparently. When I had mine I avoided flipping the screen back and forth for that reason. :oops:
Oh dear. Yeah definitely my fault as I like to use the camera with the screen closed away, but then of course you need to see the screen every now and then so I was flipping the screen.

Has anyone heard of a successful ribbon repair on an R-D1? I seem to remember there was a place in Poland (?) that repairs broken ribbons on Fujifilm GA645 cameras. Perhaps Ricoh GR’s also

Oh dear. Yeah definitely my fault as I like to use the camera with the screen closed away, but then of course you need to see the screen every now and then so I was flipping the screen.

Has anyone heard of a successful ribbon repair on an R-D1? I seem to remember there was a place in Poland (?) that repairs broken ribbons on Fujifilm GA645 cameras. Perhaps Ricoh GR’s also
I remember reading something somewhere ages ago about someone replacing that ribbon on an RD1 so it is possible.

After being told "Sorry, I won't work on that camera" by several repair techs, I was on the verge of opening her up myself, when...

...the screen came back to life.

I honestly have no idea why. I changed nothing since before. It's just been sitting on my desk. I just absentmindedly switched the camera on and pressed the button. This was a couple of days ago and every time I've come back to it since then the screen has powered up correctly. I don't dare flip the screen closed though. Best try to find a screen protector if I'm going to keep it open from now on.

I had tried multiple batteries, cleaned the contacts, etc. and tried it dozens of times over the course of several weeks to no avail.

What do you all think? Could there have been a drop of liquid creating a short that took a long time to evaporate?

Asahizuiko - I have had my R-D1s since 2016 and received it from my brother who bought it 2010. I use it selectively and have always had the screen open, never closing it for fear of upsetting the connection. Touch wood, it is still working well. Good luck with yours.

After being told "Sorry, I won't work on that camera" by several repair techs, I was on the verge of opening her up myself, when...

...the screen came back to life.

I honestly have no idea why. I changed nothing since before. It's just been sitting on my desk. I just absentmindedly switched the camera on and pressed the button. This was a couple of days ago and every time I've come back to it since then the screen has powered up correctly. I don't dare flip the screen closed though. Best try to find a screen protector if I'm going to keep it open from now on.

I had tried multiple batteries, cleaned the contacts, etc. and tried it dozens of times over the course of several weeks to no avail.

What do you all think? Could there have been a drop of liquid creating a short that took a long time to evaporate?

Quite possible. I had a similar issue because of moisture that was trapped inside the camera. It works like new.

It might be worth setting up with your most used settings so if it fails again the camera is set up without needing to use the screen.

Try searching ebay for a replacement ribbon or flexi-ribbon. Various ribbons are always cluttering up any search I make there for "Rolleiflex" or reflex. You might get lucky. you might also try asking in some of the more dedicated camera-repair forums like the one here, or FB's Vintage Camera Repair

Back