Epson R-D1 vs R-D1x

mark_pw

Established
Local time
9:00 PM
From time to time I can see a couple of R-D1 in the 2nd hand market. R-D1x is relatively rare. It's price can be double of a R-D1.

https://ebay.to/2OufDOi

I just wonder if the photos taken by the R-D1x is twice better than the R-D1. Anyone has done the A/B tests before? :rolleyes:

No difference in image quality whatsoever.

R-D1x = No flip screen, can take larger card than the R-D1, R-D1s 2gb limit. That's about it.

There was also a grip available for the R-D1x(g)

They both have the exact same sensor, processor, and viewfinder system. The R-D1X is only more expensive mostly due to its relative rarity - but at that price, you might as well get an M8 for a bit less, or an M9 for a bit more.

I've never found the 2gb card limit on the original R-D1 to be an issue, especially since the files are so small. I also prefer the fold-away screen, but it's been known to wear out sometimes.

The R-D1x was exclusively made for the Japanese market. Some upgrades vis-a-vis the intermediate R-D1s model:
  • Larger 2.5" LCD display (vs 2" in the previous model) but with the same resolution - 235K
  • LCD is no longer articulated and cannot be closed
  • Support of SDHC memory cards which increased max. capacity to 32 GB (vs. 2 GB for previous models)
  • Improvements in accessibility of rangefinder adjustment
  • R-D1xG model also includes removable grip [source: Wikipedia]
One important issue is the availability of Epson service: to the best of my knowledge, service is no longer provided by Epson Japan for the R-D1 but is still available for the R-D1s and R-D1x.

I agree, as long as you can do the rangefinder adjustment yourself, or you find someone who can do it for you. The DIY link is mentioned above. The Epson's are great cameras. I bought mine online in Japan where you can find mint bodies, either via ebay, or through an intermediary like https://www.japancamerahunter.com/

Back