Epson RD-1 and photo size

Depends on your display medium, right?
For example, if you make inkjet prints at 240dpi, and the R-D1 captures a 2000 x 3000 pixel image, then (2000/240) x (3000/240) = 8.33 in x 12.5 in.

It depends on more than just the display medium. It also depends on the kind of photo, how well the capture was exposed and focused, how your skills at processing it are, and what you expect to see in a print.

The Epson R-D1 is a 6 megapixel camera. ...

Two of my photos from the Olympus E-1 (5Mpixel) made outstanding prints sized to 20x26 inch image area that won recognition in two exhibitions. For printing purposes, I'd up-rezzed them to 20 Mpixel print files and printed them at about 200 ppi output resolution. For the viewing distance of a 20x26 inch print, that was more than sufficient to make them look great. :)

G

I had an exhibition a few years ago, where most of the photos were from the R-D1. Biggest print size had 80cm on the long side, which was a little too much. But the 60cm prints were absolutely okay.

I was reading recent twenty+ pages long thread about this camera few days ago (in Russian). A3 is reported by experienced users as maximum size without critical quality loss.

I was reading recent twenty+ pages long thread about this camera few days ago (in Russian). A3 is reported by experienced users as maximum size without critical quality loss.

I don't know about that, but I can say that you can upsize the file without loss of quality by using Alien Skin's "Blow Up" software.

They have a 10 day trial of the software fully functional.

10 x 15 (A3) is absolutely fine. I have a 24 inch wide print on the wall and it is also fine. As someone else said, it depends to some extent on subject matter plus focus etc.

Having owned (and still own) a "number" of cameras with significantly greater megapixel counts than the RD-1 sensor, I am continually amazed at how clear (well-defined) a picture I get with my fairly-recently acquired RD-1. For my "keepers" i print on a standard 13-inch by 19-inch paper and the photos appear quite sufficiently sharp. However, i am solely a black-and-white photographer, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

My largest R-D1 print measures 60x70 cm. It's a B&W print, and it looks just fine from a distance of a few yards.
Long time ago, but I probably upped the pixel count using a raw converter + Photoshop.
Incredible what can be done with 6MP.

Back