Epson RD-1 dilemma

Amazing the premium some folks are willing to pay for "the rangefinder experience."

A Nikon D70, also with 6MP, and similar or identical image quality (my subjective opinion only), can be had for about $125.

I had IstD on mind....same years, also 6mpix, takes hell of lenses.
eur100 on a good day (for seller).

I must say RD-1 has kept its value pretty well!

I had IstD on mind....same years, also 6mpix, takes hell of lenses. eur100 on a good day (for seller). I must say RD-1 has kept its value pretty well!
I have a K100D : pretty much the same cam as !st and it's held it's value well. Paid $600 Aussie and now worth $300 or so (on the proverbial good day). I love the idea of the Epson but really can't justify the cost used (compared to a camera I own) or new (compared to an APS-C mirrorless). I bought a mirrorless to shoot my RF lenses in digital. Also shoots my Pentax lenses when I want modern sensor performance.

I have a K100D : pretty much the same cam as !st and it's held it's value well. Paid $600 Aussie and now worth $300 or so (on the proverbial good day). I love the idea of the Epson but really can't justify the cost used (compared to a camera I own) or new (compared to an APS-C mirrorless). I bought a mirrorless to shoot my RF lenses in digital. Also shoots my Pentax lenses when I want modern sensor performance.

Except an R-D1 will be unlike any other camera you will ever own ;)

Except an R-D1 will be unlike any other camera you will ever own ;)

I realize how RD-1 is different from DSLR, but once they aren't easily repairable (and for reasonable $) they become disposables - use while it works and toss when it stops. If RD-1 still can be repaired for less than 1/3 of comparable or better DRF....why not.

Amazing the premium some folks are willing to pay for "the rangefinder experience."

A Nikon D70, also with 6MP, and similar or identical image quality (my subjective opinion only), can be had for about $125.

To each his/her own. I really like using different cameras. The "digital rangefinder experience" is a lot of fun and believe it or not, it has improved my photography... Nikon is fine, I have a D60 and a couple of lenses still (sold the telezoom and the primes). I had fun with it too, but the RD-1 is just much more interesting. I also shoot with M43 and DP2-Merrill. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses (quirkyness?). Anyway, I bought the RD-1 and several CV lenses as well. I have a lot of fun with it. :D

Back