Error 61 on RX1R

Lss

Well-known
Local time
10:57 PM
My Sony RX1R stopped focusing with e61:00 flashing in the screen. I can confirm the Googled solution of brute force on the camera to fix the issue. It seems a couple of firm taps on the lens with your finger solves the problem (or the symptoms). It sure worked for me. The only other solution I know of is sending your camera off to Sony.

If this keeps up then soon, when you press the shutter release, you cameras computer will want to have a philosophical discussion with you about the reason you want to take that picture.

you cameras computer will want to have a philosophical discussion with you about the reason you want to take that picture.
Aha, perhaps this is the reason for the hit-and-miss AF that often gives nice and sharp backgrounds to go with those blurry subjects. The camera simply knows better. :D

A bit more than 10 months later, my camera today gave the same error a second time. A couple taps, and the error was still there. A couple more taps, and it works again. I did not lose any shots this time, just a minute getting the camera running again.

And yesterday I had the error for the third time. This time the camera also indicated an almost empty battery (although it was almost full) while going through the error cycle. I had to repeat the tapping exercise 4-5 times to make the error disappear.

No firmware updates on the camera. And the camera has never seen any service.

The error 61 can be a major inconvenience on this camera when it happens. You cannot get the camera running simply by removing battery. It is a paperweight until you get it to reset, and that really seems to require to physically move something inside the camera. I am anyway glad to see that it is not a permanent issue (at least in my case) and not particularly common.

I really like the Sony designs. The RX1 and RX100 would suit my needs right smart. Sadly my Sony relationship has been mired with error code after error code. Multiple bodies and multiple models.

But that RX1! If only...

Well, just to clarify my bowl rather than stir the Sony pot, my RX1 (bought used, 2016) and my wife’s RX100iii (bought used 2017) have never error coded us in all that time. (((((I suppose I should use my Tiny Tim quote now.

Had the "code of death" with my RX1, with an occasional fix by dropping on thick carpet from about 8-12 inches. Tapping never worked for me. Eventually, out of warranty, it bricked. I waited and got an RX1r II with no problems so far. It's been 2 years.

Sorry to hear, but it's great that you have a problem-free upgrade now. In terms of image quality and portability, it is hard to beat these cameras. I am still unsure what to replace this with if mine dies.

Back