Eulogy for the RD1s

And many would. Epson, despite being a manufacturer with little-to-no experience with rangefinders, made a camera that managed to endear itself to its owners for its utility and for its ergonomics that - here's the surprising part - are in some ways MUCH better than Leica, with all its decades of experience, has made to date. That's why so many of us who either own or have owned the camera are so fond of it. Even if its sensor is dated; even if we wish the camera had readier access to service, we still can't help but like the thing.

Personally, I feel the same about the R-D1 as I do the film M bodies. It's just right in so many ways that I was willing to work with its limitations.

Well Cosina probably manufactured most of it and had a bit of experience in building Rf cameras. Being based on the R2 - it has very similar ergonomics - not a bad thing, especially if you are charmed by the throwback style. That's why I personally don't find it that surprising - if Epson had designed and tooled up from scratch to build the body and sensor then I'm sure I'd feel different.

I love the R-D1 and it has a great look to the images as these shots show. And there are some features that are better than the Leica digitals. I really like the slide film look of shots out of the camera and the B&W has a great noise character. Also, I find that I get better Infrared out the R-D1 than the M8, the M8 may be more IR sensitive, but the R-D1 can be shot at 1600 and the shots look as close as I have seen to HIE( for digital).

Interesting that you sold yours when you like it so much, what ws your motivation? I understand from some of your posts that your profession is wedding photographer. Did you ever use your R-D1 for your work?

Sell RD-1?

Sell RD-1?

Sell RD-1? Never! As long as it works. After 5 hrs drive home from Vienna I developed this one: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4022/4572726420_4ef26878e0_o.jpg

4572726420_4ef26878e0_o.jpg

Interesting that you sold yours when you like it so much, what ws your motivation? I understand from some of your posts that your profession is wedding photographer. Did you ever use your R-D1 for your work?

No, I never did. (In hindsight I wish I had!) I often do 2nd shooting with other photographers, and the expectation nowadays is either Nikon or Canon digital files. That, plus the versatility of SLR's in general for wedding work made the decision an easy one. I would have kept the R-D1 for my personal use, but I was a bit concerned over the long-term servicing viability of the camera. An M2 you can keep forever; an R-D1, I'm not so sure. :(

Mani, What did you replace the RD-1 with?

Why sell a camera that you like so much? It works as well as it ever did. Some of my Digital cameras are approaching 20 and still work. I have no reason to replace my D1x's at work, they keep working. For project pictures posted to the web, a Nikon E3 works best for me. Older than the D1x's.

Mani, What did you replace the RD-1 with? Why sell a camera that you like so much?

It's complicated.
Some quick background: I started a thread over on LUF called something like "Has anyone reached Leica nirvana, and is happy with exactly the equipment they already have?". The reason I brought up the question was because I'd been buying a lot of lenses and cameras over the last couple years, but in particular because I'd been spending so much time thinking about the next lens or camera I 'needed' to reach the state of 'perfect' gear.

Not only that, but each time I had an occasion to use a camera, I was faced by a decision which would have a different outcome and a different workflow depending on which camera I chose. Sometimes halfway through an event or a holiday I could be (mildly) tormented by the thought that I should've brought along one of the other cameras instead.

So I decided to simplify. All lenses that I don't use have been gradually going, and now I'm down to an M8 and an M6TTL.

Naturally I'm not totally free of the gear-bug - I'd like to add a Mamiya6 to the group at some stage. But for now at least, I'm relieved not to be buying any more Leica stuff.

In the end, taking photographs is much more fun than looking through classifieds.

That's not complicated- it's an easy trap to fall into, been a lifelong thing with me. I'm finding my M8 bag consists of a the 85/2 Nikkor, 50/1.5 CZJ Sonnar, 35/1.7 Ultron, and 1.25x magifier. This weekend - packed the Canon 50/1.2 for some real low-light stuff. Some shots required F1.2. Got over 200 shots on one battery charge, I was happy with that.

i think i know this guy in the picture Gil...

I already miss mine too. I sold it coz i got an M8. For now I cant afford to have both, and I'm quite sure I'll be looking for one when the time comes that i can afford it. i even had a gentleman's agreement with the new owner that if he ever plans to sell it in the future... he gives me the first option to buy it

Selling my RD1 is a longshot. To me this is the less costly digital alternative using M lenses with great or better results than the Leica offering. Epson / Cosina please we want a new model with basic upgrades, we're not asking for frills and gizmos....

Simple shots great joy, the print in A4 size is excellent

11393579_FQxC2
[/url][/IMG]

11110918_aSZML
[/url][/IMG]

My friend and his RD1 in-camera B&W ISO 800

11393579_FQxC2
[/url][/IMG]

I'm sure you'll enjoy your M8 congrats! I believe you know the guy in the picture you see him everyday right.......looks like a mirror shot. Post some pics when you get it.

Well, let it be known: I'm the one who bought Mani's R-D1s, it arrived yesterday, and here's one of my first pictures with it, with the Nokton 35/1.2 at closest distance, 1/60 indicated, F4. Nothing done to the picture except resizing to have it uploaded here and 10% sharpening because of the resizing.
I really LOVE those colors. :

EPS2919.JPG

Last edited:
Well, let it be known: I'm the one who bought Mani's R-D1s, it arrived yesterday, and here's one of my first pictures with it, with the Nokton 35/1.2 at closest distance, 1/60 indicated, F4. Nothing done to the picture except resizing to have it uploaded here and 10% sharpening because of the resizing.
I really LOVE those colors. :

EPS2919.JPG

The really great thing about the images from the camera is that not only are the colors wonderful and chrome-like, somehow also the 6-megapixel sensor makes for a lovely film-like grain.

Certainly not 'my garbage' by any means whatsoever. The RD1(s) is probably the nicest digital rangefinder there's ever gonna be - but for simplicity sake I'm happy with the dual combination I'm using now.

Congratulations to gliderbee - I'm really happy that the camera's gone to a great new home!

Mani

I'm curious to know how it's going?

It's going fine :p !

I went to Charleroi (Belgium) last Sunday, with a small group; we visited the old (now closed) coal-mine of Marcinelle (where a disaster with about 256 dead took place in 1956) and the city of Charleroi, with a nice photography-museum.

All pictures are taken with the Epson. Lenses used were CV 12mm, CV 28/3.5 and Konica M-Hexanon 50/2.0.
I had lots of fun, but be warned: I was in a "black-and-white, grainy and harsh" mood when editing the pictures. There certainly is much room for improvement on my part, but again, I had fun. I really like this camera. The only thing that disturbed me a bit is that it goes into some kind of "sleep" mode after a while, and it needs a sec to wake-up. I should check the settings for that.

Here are the pictures (please show some clemency :eek:). I don't know if Picasa is known in other countries. If things appear in Dutch, in the left upper corner, just above the first picture, there's the word "Diavoorstelling". If you click that, you get a slide show.

Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.be/gliderbee/DavidsfondsCharleroi16Mei?authkey=Gv1sRgCNPM1MOM2u20lQE#

Stefan.

Last edited:
really nice shots, Stefan!

I liked the harsh BW ones playing with the geometry of things.

and that 12mm is such a joy to use, isnt it? It works so well with the R-D1

Back